thermostat housing

WRRMDOVR

need help......I have installed a 1960 Buick 401 Nailhead into a 1958 Morgan. The nose of the Morgan is quite long however it narrows quickly towards to front and also slopes downward. My issue is that the stock thermostat housing is sticking up and will not allow me to close/latch the hood shut. I need something that is at least 1 inch shorter and 2 inches would be ideal. Any help in identifying a shorter thermostat housing would be greatly appreciated.

WRMDOVR

Can you cut it the length you need and then fabricate or weld the lip on it. Maybe the lip isn't necessary. Just my opinion.

need help......I have installed a 1960 Buick 401 Nailhead into a 1958 Morgan. The nose of the Morgan is quite long however it narrows quickly towards to front and also slopes downward. My issue is that the stock thermostat housing is sticking up and will not allow me to close/latch the hood shut. I need something that is at least 1 inch shorter and 2 inches would be ideal. Any help in identifying a shorter thermostat housing would be greatly appreciated.

WRMDOVR
They have universal ones that let you rotate the neck. Otherwise, I would get one 3-D printed preferably out of ABS. Include a o-ring seal cavity and metal inserts, so it doesn't crack when torquing down. If it turns out like you want it, get it cast in aluminum.

In regard to the 3-D printing, a software file is created of your part, which is where you provide all your measurements. Once completed the file is run on the printer. If you were that generous to share that file to everyone on this forum anyone could print one out if they wanted to. Yay!!!

I have been looking for one of these "universal" thermostat housing and i have not found one that is compatible with a 1962 401. If anyone has a line, website please feel free to reply back. Thanks.

While 3 priinting is really cool and i clearly has a vast number of uses.......the costs i think would be pretty hefty, but in all honesty i really do not know what the cost would be?

WRMDOVR,

Stock Buick's had various thermostat housings with the neck coming out at an angle. IF I remember correctly you will be looking for something from a '53/322, '54-'56/264/322 or '57-'59/364/401.
Put a parts wanted ad in the proper location on this or various other forums & you should be able to find something.
AND, ask for a pic & measurements.

Tom T.

Last edited:
Back