Steering arms

suntreemcanic

Experienced Member
I am replacing my straight eight with a Buick V-8 with means I have to update the steering. There is no room for the factory power steering gear. My car drives great so I want to leave the factory front suspension but install rack and pinion steering. This requires shorter steering arms. Does anyone know of a list of steering arms with dimensions. I need steering arms of about 5 1/2 inches long and off a car with 124 inch wheel base for proper ackerman angle.

I have been fitting the new engine, experimenting with different exhaust manifolds and trying to fit a regular steering gear, but the frame rails are just to narrow, so I have a rack and pinion fitted in there setting on some wooden blocks. The exhaust manifold will clear, room for a factory starter, a brake cylinder mounted in about the factory location with a remote mount vacuum booster behind the front fender. My other concern is power steering pump missing the knee action shocks. This will not be done before next spring. I then have to mount a rear end.

I just got done putting a power rack in from a 1990 Chev Cavalier and others. It fits pretty well. These have the steering arms coming out of the middle and not the ends like most. I found an article on the Internet about doing this. I haven’t got the car going yet but I think it will work good.

I am trying to use a steering rack out of a Chevy Blazer. And to control bump steer I am going to make a "traveler bar" that fits on each end of the steering rack. Then you attach your tie rod end to it at the same length as your lower A frame. I would love to find some steering arms that would fit. Having to "carve" them out of steel will be a lot of work.

Back