Check Engine Light on

Howdy Gents,

I have a 1992 Buick Regal Gran Sport (second car) with 170,000 miles on it.
The car as been running great the past 2 1/2 years. Just routine maintenance. I was coming home from work last week and the service engine soon light came on just as I was coming down the street. The next day the car started up fine and I just ran around town doing some errands. Making short trims everything is ok but on 3 different occasions after going 3.5 miles the light comes back on.

Does anyone have a clue as to what is causing this?

I would assume a sensor, but which one?

Any helpfull hints would be greatly appreciated!

Tom What code is being set ? You can go to Auto Zone , Advance Auto Parts etc. and they will scan the code for free .. report back with the codes .. could be as simple as a vacuum leak etc. HTH
John

I doubt that auto zone or advanced will be able to scan it because obdII didnt come out till 94/95 but my guess is a cam sensor droping out

You might want to check for some blown fuses. For example when the engine fan fuse blew on my car (also OBD I), it set a code that took a while to trace. Turned out to be just a blown fuse!

No guarantee, but easy enough.

-Bob C.

Howdy Gents,

I have a 1992 Buick Regal Gran Sport (second car) with 170,000 miles on it.
The car as been running great the past 2 1/2 years. Just routine maintenance. I was coming home from work last week and the service engine soon light came on just as I was coming down the street. The next day the car started up fine and I just ran around town doing some errands. Making short trims everything is ok but on 3 different occasions after going 3.5 miles the light comes back on.

Does anyone have a clue as to what is causing this?

I would assume a sensor, but which one?

Any helpfull hints would be greatly appreciated!

There is a little bit problem with the battery. Try to check it the battery not the engine. :D:thumbsup:

check the seal on the gas cap - try tightening it and see if problem goes away. if light stays lit, reset it by removing the negative battery cable for 15 seconds
Butch

Back