364 Nail Head Cooling System Flush Quesitons

BornBuick

How does one go about properly flushing out the heads and block on these engines in the car? Before you respond please read below.

I am about to go about flushing out my cooling system on a car that has sat for around 30 years. In preparation and to determine the amount of sludge/calcification etc., I removed the radiator, water pump, water manifold, goose neck/thermostat.

I found the aftermarket aluminum water pump and goose neck have fallen to the rages of electrolysis. The radiator bottom is full of dried calcium. The upper and lower radiator hoses although apparently still new looking with the paper tags still on them are form fitted and the wires inside are toast. The water ports for the heads were still surprisingly still damp inside upon removal and not too bad looking other than that internal damp rust fuss that appears after sitting. A good flush should take care of that.

Further Observations:

So . . . the water manifold sets up against the front of the heads. This is for the incoming cooled water via the water pump below. Yet I can find no Exit port for the water coming from the heads. Now there are freeze plugs on the opposite end of the heads against the firewall but cannot access these while the engine is in the car. It appears the heads are interchangeable due to this manufacturing configuration.

I plan on cleaning up the water pump, goose neck and water manifold and remounting them just for the flush procedure. From what I can see if I do this the pressure to the heads will be nill to none due to the water needing to go through the top of the water manifold into the heads without an exit.

Also looking for a source to purchase a reasonably priced water/air combo flush gun from. Anyone know of a source? My searches have turned up very few yet expensive finds.

Any input, observations and help would be appreciated.

David

Back