- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idle stator and stator detent switch

Idle stator and stator detent switch

Can anyone explain to me whats the purpose of these parts and how they work and do they have anything to do with idle?
    Paid $2800 just like it is!

Quote Originally Posted by terry march View Post
    Can anyone explain to me whats the purpose of these parts and how they work and do they have anything to do with idle?
    On switch pitch equipped cars, those parts control stall speed. The torque converter is in high stall at idle, low stall off idle, and back to high stall at throttle openings above 60%. The stator detent switch also downshifts the transmission at full throttle (passing gear). The higher stall at idle makes for a smoother idle, and higher torque multiplication at larger throttle openings.

What

deleted. sorry

Quote Originally Posted by LARRY70GS View Post
    On switch pitch equipped cars, those parts control stall speed. The torque converter is in high stall at idle, low stall off idle, and back to high stall at throttle openings above 60%. The stator detent switch also downshifts the transmission at full throttle (passing gear). The higher stall at idle makes for a smoother idle, and higher torque multiplication at larger throttle openings.

What if they are deleted? I know this post is old but maybe someone can give me an answer. I bought a car and have the connector that from transmission to carb but all carb components are aftermarket and no connection on new carb. So do i need to find a way to connect it in order to have passing gear? Any help would be appreciated.

Switch pitch connections

The answer to your question is yes you do need to hook them up to have proper idle and transmission function.

Bruce Roe makes an electronic control box for the switch pitch. You can contact him at bcroe@juno.com The switch pitch function is very simple. There are two flat connectors on the left side of the transmission. One is horizontal, the other vertical. The horizontal one is the switch pitch (stator) control. Apply 12 volts, you get high stall, take it away, you get low stall, so disconnected, you are stuck in low stall. The vertical connector is the kick down. Apply 12 volts, the transmission down shifts, take it away, it up shifts. You can hook up a simple momentary or toggle switch to conduct 12 volts to either connector. Make sure you still have the switch pitch transmission. If you are not the original owner of the car, you can't be sure what was replaced or converted. I have included some pictures of Bruce's electronic control box.

Here is another option for the kick down activation,

https://www.amazon.com/20297-Kickdown-Switch-Kit/dp/B000CIGDGU
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Larry

1970 GS455 Stage1 Race weight 4025 lbs.
    TSP 470, 602 HP, 589 TQ
    MT headers, Gear Vendors Overdrive
    Best E.T. 11.54 Best MPH, 116.06
    1998 Riviera SC3800

Wow thank you guys. Tomorrow i will follow that wire and see if its the same connection as the picture you took. If i get a chance i may take a picture myself and post it here as well.

If you switch is there, follow the "How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission" link at the top of this page.

Here's some on Ebay:
    Buick kickdown switch

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Okay I was unable to upload any pictures because I'm not too familiar with this site but I do have a th400 transmission I do have the connection but there's nothing to connect it to so my question is do I try to buy one from eBay or do I try to get the one that has been built by Bruce Roe? Would like your opinions on both options
    Last edited by wildlos; 03-31-2018 at 06:38 AM.

How many spades are on the plug coming out of the transmission? You do not have a switch pitch if there is only one. In that case, there is only the detent for downshifting. It needs a power switch that is activated by 3/4 throttle. There are any number of switches for this. Your best bet would be to adapt one from a similar car found in a junk yard.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)