- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1963 Skylark rearend

1963 Skylark rearend

Hi everyone,
    I need to rebuilt the stock rearend on a 1963 Skylark 215 V8, with 3.36:1 ratio. I can't find any part for it, as all the ring and pinion gear and installation kit are listed for the 1964 and later BOP rearend. Anyone knows if this parts will work on the older rear ?
    Here a few infos on the rearend:
    pinion is marked 1193712 H
    carrier is marked 119579
    carrier bearing outer race is Hyatt 159286W (cross reference Timken LM603012)
    I can post picture, if can be of any help.
    Thanks
    Marco

Rearend Help

Try JD through his forum, http://forum.jdrace.com.
    He was recommended by George over at www.BuickPerformanceClub.com.

Parts availability for this rear is extremely limited. It was made for only three years (1961-63) and used only in Specials and F-85s. The 1964-up rears are a completely different design.

To the best of my knowledge, no aftermarket gears are available for this rear. If your gears are bad, your best hope might be to look for a complete rear from a salvage yard that specializes in vintage parts.

If you can't find the parts you need or a direct replacement rear, you could get the car back on the road with a rear end swap from another make of car. This means you would have to cut off all of the suspension mounting brackets and weld them onto the housing of the new rear. You might also have to do some mods on the driveshaft and the parking brake cable hookup. For these reasons, I would consider this kind of swap only as a last resort so you wouldn't have to sell or scrap an otherwise salvageable car.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 07-10-2012 at 10:37 PM.

1963 Skylark rear-end problem

Hello all,
    I just got this 63 Skylark not long ago, was working on a Tranny problem, with much help from some of you here. Tranny now works perfectly, thanks to you guys!
    Now I'm looking at a read end problem. I hope someone here can advise me a bit.

I notice when I drive on my dirt driveway, (it's a bit rocky and rough) there's a clunking sound coming from what seems to be in the trunk of the car. So I went to investigate the noise. Nothing in the truck was making the noise. Upon further investigation, by rocking the rear of car from side to side, I found that the clunking sound is coming from the rear end (Differential). So, I jacked the rear of the car up off the ground and found that there's a bit of play in the wheels when I rotate them back and fourth, I also found when I pull in and out on the wheel there's alot of slack and play in it, and that's the cause of the clunky noise that I'm hearing, for SURE! When I pull/**** out and push in on the wheels, it makes that Clunk sound. I did some research on this but couldn't really nail anything down. Maybe it needs shimmed and or adjusted, or maybe the gears are badly worn, or worn axle bearings?? Anyone else had this problem, anyone know what the cause is and or the fix might be?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice anyone can provide me.B.
    Last edited by Skylarkowner; 09-30-2012 at 05:40 AM.

From your description of the problem, I think it is almost certainly a wheel bearing. The gears wouldn't have any effect on axle shaft end play. The car has ball bearings that are pressed onto the axle shafts. There is no adjustment on these, and the only repair is replacement of the bearing or bearings (it would be unusual for both bearings to fail at the same time).

The good news is that the bearings are still available.
    http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,1672
    However, I suggest that you remove the shaft first before ordering any parts.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 09-30-2012 at 10:02 AM.

you should immediately stop driving that car until the problem is fixed.

there should not be major side to side play in the axle. you're probably about to lose the bearing, and when the bearing goes your axle is probably going to slide right out of the axle housing. dropping the rear quarter of the car on the road at ~50 mph is going to be more excitement than you want to have.

you might be able to get by with just replacing the bearings and possibly installing a repair shim for the bearing race but i would just suggest a full axle rebuild considering how old the unit is and the fact you KNOW that it has a serious problem.

i'd link you to a 1961-63 Service Manual but that appears to be a hole in our records. we've got a 1960 and a 1966.

*later*

sheesh, even TOCMP doesn't seem to have anything. here's the "Preliminary Service" booklet, i can't find the relevant service manual hosted online:
    http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/m...Info/index.htm

here are two options for purchasing it:

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/1...al-P10979.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=all
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Going from the picture of the bearing, I suspect there may be an oil seal in the axle housing inboard of the bearing. If one is in there, you will be able to see it once the shaft is removed. It would be a good idea to replace that seal while you have the shaft out.

Bearings with an internal seal will normally have an O-ring on their outer diameter to prevent oil from leaking around the outside of the bearing. I didn't see an O-ring in the picture, which usually means that there is a separate seal. Of course that picture might be of a generic bearing, and not the actual one which fits your car.

Ray

Read End probs

You guys really are great!
    My first thoughts were bad wheel bearings as well. But when I rocked the rear of the car from side to side, it seems as though the clunk sound is right in the Punkin' area of the rear end. Also, when I push and pull on the wheels both left and right sides are about the same, with some in out play and clunking sounds in the differential area. I just want to be clear about the symptoms of the problem. YES, as soon as I realized there was alot of play in it, I stopped driving the car. I had the same visions of the wheel and axle coming right off the car. Yikes, that would ruin a guys day for sure! So, I will take a look at the wheel bearings then, if you still thinks that's the problem. It kinda through me because of the noise coming from the differential area. However, the car right now is siting on bit of a slanted area in my driveway, standing behind the car, looking at the rear wheels, they appear to be a bit off plum, the wheels are sitting at a bit of an angle, like an old Volkswagen's rear wheels would do. I assume that would also indicate worn out wheel bearings as well? Something doesn't look quite right with all that!

Thanks Much for all the help and advice from you guys, it is greatly appreciated!
    B.

Quote Originally Posted by raycow View Post
    From your description of the problem, I think it is almost certainly a wheel bearing. The gears wouldn't have any effect on axle shaft end play. The car has ball bearings that are pressed onto the axle shafts. There is no adjustment on these, and the only repair is replacement of the bearing or bearings (it would be unusual for both bearings to fail at the same time).

The good news is that the bearings are still available.
    http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,1672
    However, I suggest that you remove the shaft first before ordering any parts.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Skylarkowner View Post
    My first thoughts were bad wheel bearings as well. But when I rocked the rear of the car from side to side, it seems as though the clunk sound is right in the Punkin' area of the rear end. Also, when I push and pull on the wheels both left and right sides are about the same, with some in out play and clunking sounds in the differential area. I just want to be clear about the symptoms of the problem.
    Well the other possibility is damaged or missing control arm bushings. You would still get the clunking sound, but in this case the whole axle housing would move sideways. If I was understanding your symptoms correctly, the play is between the shaft and housing, which normally indicates the bearing.

So which is moving sideways? The shaft (and that would include the wheel), or the entire housing? If you are unsure, take off the wheel. You could even take off the drum if you want to. That would expose the end of the shaft and leave no chance of misinterpretation.

Ray

Hi Raycow,
    sorry, I'm just a novice at back yard mechanics, so please bear with me. I will do my best to try to explain this in clear detail, as best I can. I jacked up the entire rear end of the car so both rear wheels are off the ground. I can take hold of one or the other wheel and pull and push in and out on the wheel, it has play in the IN and OUT direction, it also makes that Clunk sound when I do this.

No, I don't think the play is between the shaft and housing, it's not an up and down or back and fourth direction or front and back type direction of play, it's in and out play. (In the direction one would use if you're pulling the axle out or replacing it back in.) However, as I said before, the rear wheels look a bit out of Plum as well, they look a little off kilter when the car is sitting on a sideways incline, the wheel positioning looks a bit like this (/) rather then upright like this (I) the wheel seems to be leaning to one side just a wee little bit. I hope you know what I'm explaining here? This is kinda tough to describe!

There's probably less then 1/8th inch of that in/out play. I think when I rock the rear end of the car from side to side, it' basically doing the same thing as when I push/pull the wheels in and out as I described above.

Perhaps I have more then just one issue going on here?

Thanks much again,
    B.
    Quote Originally Posted by raycow View Post
    Well the other possibility is damaged or missing control arm bushings. You would still get the clunking sound, but in this case the whole axle housing would move sideways. If I was understanding your symptoms correctly, , which normally indicates the bearing.

So which is moving sideways? The shaft (and that would include the wheel), or the entire housing? If you are unsure, take off the wheel. You could even take off the drum if you want to. That would expose the end of the shaft and leave no chance of misinterpretation.

Ray