- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 60 of 66 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything new from the straight 8 hot rodders?

It isnt less work to put in the Comp Carb buildung a new front Exhaust, Gas tubes, Carb linkage, vacuum lines, carb adjustments for smooth run and s good mileage....and many small things...
    I had made a good experience with the 'Best Gasket'-kit for manifold to head.
    In my case i cant run it like its are original, without gasket on exhaust and only the rings on intake, because of my ported runners.
    If your head are stock on intake and outlets, i would give the oem rings on intake and the graphite atf mix on exhaust a chance.
    dont try it with the cheap felpro junk, it doesnt stay for an adequate time.
    For the big gasket BETWEEN intake and exhaust manifolds i build my own gasket out of pure thick( 2mm) copper, here the same, the felpro junk doesnt hold longer than one season.
    Last edited by Jenz38; 09-07-2015 at 01:29 AM.

Jenz
    '38 Special Coupe, pimped 263 cui
    ---- LIFTERS CC GERMANY ----

Here is a link to the copper gasket:
    . http://m.ebay.com/itm/190882631707?fits=Make%3ABuick

Jenz
    '38 Special Coupe, pimped 263 cui
    ---- LIFTERS CC GERMANY ----

In my limited experience, Jenz is right: "If your head are stock on intake and outlets, i would give the oem rings on intake and the graphite atf mix on exhaust a chance. My manifolds, and the side of the head, on my 263 were milled a tiny bit to make them straight, I used the ancient original rings on intake and a graphite/motor oil mix on exhaust, and have nary a leak in two years.
    '51 Special

Your build

[QUOTE=gtopite1;99071]I agree bruno, what's everyone up to????[/QUOT

Which begs the question , how is your build coming?

Ben

Question Matt Harwod

Does anyone know if Matt ever finished his '41 Century restoration? I would like to read the "rest of the story".
    Thanks. Gordon

Smile Test

First time I tried to post, just checking, Dave in Bellingham, WA

Looks like it worked let us know about your car

car

Building a 32 speedster, has 1930 series 50 chassis shortened about 12", 1948 320 engine, T5 transmission, brake booster, hydraulic brakes, aluminum body under construction,long way to go. Thanks for your interest, Dave in Bellingham, WA

Sounds very cool to me!
    I have a friend here locally who is putting together a 1933 & 1935 coupes.
    I bet he would like a brake booster with hydraulics.
    I would like brake booster in my 53 Buick

Thanks for sharing and hope you post some pics

Front mounted blower

Quote Originally Posted by rotus7 View Post
    I'm new to this site and the 320 Buick but in the past I've played with Lotus,Jag and other British in-lines......please don't hold that against me!!!!.
    I'm working on the purchase of a 1930 Buick Roadster that is about 30% complete and to me a good candidate for a Speedster build.
    I have a rebuilt GMC 6V71 blower that I'd like to hang out in front of the rad as the 1920's blower Bentleys did.
    The 6V71 displaces about 330CI and considering that it would be turning at crank speed to my current understandings should be a good match/fit to the Buick 320.
    I've read in this and other threads here that many 'bits' are being created which should permit the build of a good strong street motor to go into a fenderless Speedster.
    The only target that I have at this point is to reduce the all-up weight to under 2500lbs.
    The removal of the fenders,running boards,splash pans,windshield and top plus the replacement of a)the tranny with a T5,b)the front axle with a 6" drop tube,c)the rear axle with a Franklin/Halibrand/Winters late model quick change should get it there.
    I'm planning to retain the original mechanical brakes with the belief the the reduction in weight will render them effective enough to deal with the traffic levels that exist here in The Great White North.
    250 to 300HP should move something of this weight along quickly enough to give the police justification to try to take one's drivers license away.
    I hope that the knowledgeable people here will share their understandings and must thank everyone in advance.
    Ken S
    Did you ever build the front mounted blower ? If so got any pics of the brackets etc....? Thanks , Scud55