Thread: 1953 Buick Special Brakes ???

1953 Buick Special Brakes ???

I heard something kind of disturbing today, now I know there were serious problems with the power brakes in the roadmasters, but someone mentioned to methat the brakes in 53 were pretty bad all around, and faded very fast. What is the deal? How serious of an issue is it? can it be remedied without swapping in different front brakes? How about modern shoes? My project 53 should be getting on the road soon, I'm concerned.

Well, I tell my buds with the chevelles, I am happy that they are upgrading to disc fronts. That way they may not rear end me if I have to stop fast, because I know they will be behind me!

More seriously, compared to modern standard, all '53 brakes are pathetic. That does not mean they are not serviceable. Most people do not need disc brakes in a classic or hot rod because they drive defensively. The brakes stopped well for a 1953, and will probably do a fine job for you as a "toy" car.

I noticed that the '53 special used a different rear drum. It is probably smaller, so an easy upgrade would be to find a set of drums and backing plates off of another series. The cars you would most likely find the larger rears on would be the 60 and 70 series and the wagons from 1940 up.
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Thanks for the info,Obviously thay don't hold a candle to modern systems, but i just want to know if they are any worse than your typical 50's drum/drum system.

I think if you're used to driving an old car and realize the car's limitations...they're fine. I've been driving 60s cars since I was 16, so it wasn't a big deal jumping into the '53...and none of them have power brakes. Don't tailgate and pay extra attention (I'm sure you will be anyway).
    1953 Special Riviera 45R
    1965 Skylark Hardtop 300-4V
    1965 Mustang (in the family since 1968)
    1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
    1965 Dodge Dart 170 Wagon
    1974 Pontiac Firebird Esprit