From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions

Thread: Anyone else drop a 455 into a Chevy?

Talking Anyone else drop a 455 into a Chevy?

I am getting everything ready to change over my 70' 455/400 TH into a 73' NOVA that has the motor mounts from the Chevy SB that was in it before! Is there anything I need to change or get from the Skylark to help this engine to fit? Any special changes or does it basically fit close to the Chevy original motor mounts with a little movement?
    I am really excited about this swap because it means the Nova will behave like a different animal!! Instead of "No-Go", it'll be "whoa-Stop"!!!!!!!! I already have a new name for my project ("Take this.........Chevy Purists!!!!!!")............"BEAULA II"!! THAT was my Skylark's name lettered on rear panels before it was mercilessly HIT by a "Dodge" (the name fits the action) !!
    Thanks guys for any and ALL correspondence!!
    jammon455
    1973 Nova ,455 Buick (462 c.i.).........
    1972 Chevy Impala, 383 Stroker, Lunati this,Lunati that!! "Street" Radials........

you know that a Buick Apollo (73-75) is the same frame as a Chevy Nova, right?

i don't know if skylark mounts will work but you can get parts for an Apollo and those will for sure.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Lightbulb Boy, IS MY face RED!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!!
    I REALLY did forget that!!!! A guy I know has a 74' Apollo with a 455 so my head must really be in the clouds!!!!! DUH!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks again!!!!!!!!!
    jammon455
    Last edited by jammon455; 03-23-2006 at 05:05 PM. Reason: forgot something
    1972 Chevy Impala, 383 Stroker, Lunati this,Lunati that!! "Street" Radials........

well all righty then. your Nova will be almost as cool as your bud's Apollo.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Thumbs up The Apollo has a 74' stock 455 w/ 3:08 open diff

Mine will be the 10:75 to 1 1970 Electra 225 engine (slight mods; block, heads reworked, port matched exhaust sides, etc.) w/10 bolt 3:46 posi and will naturally be the quicker................. but his IS pretty quick!!!!
    Thanks again, O' K'mando!!! You're alright in my book!!
    jammon455
    Last edited by jammon455; 03-24-2006 at 08:42 PM. Reason: forgot how to underline my script

satnghtracer Guest
    you will have to modify you mounts to get them to work. the 455 mounts are closer to the front of the motor than what a chevy is.the easy way is to get some solid mounts and weld them in. if you try to bolt them in they will be hanging off the front of the fram. hope this helps because that what i done when i had a 455 in my 74 apollo

69 grand sport Guest

have you decided to use the chevy mounts

im trying to drop a 400 into a el-camino of corse the obvious elky compared to a nova engine compartment.. i was told that if the car was already a small block chevy the motor would drop in and that was from jim burke owner of p.a.e has anybody given you any other advise than whats been posted .

jammon
    are you going to put a torque strap on the drivers side of the block? sounds to me like it would be very helpful in your application.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jholthenrichs/knowledge.htm#Installing%20a%20Torque%20Strap
    Vladimir Lenin

Cool It's been on the backburner, but...................

I DID take the solid mounts off of my wrecked Skylark and have still got the original "new" mounts on block!! I'm setting it in the mounts next week and recutting a new driveshaft for it. Because of the long nosed tailshaft 400TH there's gonna be some difference between the original 3 speed saggy and what I am installing (not sure by how much yet) but everything except the original small block width of mounts will work, so far!! Of course, the 455 is a little wider block than the 283 that was in it before (nuttin' wrong wit the '283'.........just love the power of BUICK, man!!!!!
    Thanks for all the interest guys!! I belong to a car club and some of the FERD guys call my new creation "just a Chevy all around"!!!! I just smile and remember that when it's finished...........I'll have the last laugh as I'm screaming away from the club!!!! LOL!!!!
    I'll try later to explain how we finished the project Buick/chevy and some details that might help someone later on!!
    Thanks again!
    jammon455

BTW: my cousin gave me a running 350 SBB out of a 75'...........I want to make a ball buster outta this one, too!!

I have 455 installed and great clearances!!!

We, at the car club, installed my 455 complete (welding in frame mounts and etc.) this evening. We cut the driveshaft down 1 1/2" and now all I have to do is buy Buick to Chevy Uni-joints to install correctly!!!
    Boy, is it ever gonna be close under the hood, but hey, that's what fiberglass hoods are for.........right?!!!
    The next project will be making a plate to mount the tranny tighter!
    I will post pics later on in details because it's just been too HOT here (89 to 94 degrees) this week and by the time we get anything started.......we are ready to go to the local creek to swim already! LOL!!!!!
    Thanks Bob K.Mando for the neat tip for torque strap!!! We made one tonight and will get it installed as soon as evrything else is reinstalled!!!
    jammon455