Thread: Heating / Cooling System

Unhappy Heating / Cooling System

Ok.......got the old girl turned around in the garage so she is nose in and decided to pull the radiator because it is in pretty bad shape...little did I know.......the brackets on the side were not even holding it in place, THE HOSES WERE!!!!!! and the clamps were all broken!!!!!!

It is out and headed to the radiator shop for a rebuild/restoration, but now the next thing....no thermostat in the housing so that has to come apart and be cleaned and rebuilt also..........but the big thing is the lower heater core hose that comes from teh firewall to the radiator, that fitting broke off during removal. the radiator guy says not a problem, but the question I have is how much of a pain in the *** is it to change all of the heater hose?

It looks like I have either an under front seat or under rear seat heater (flat on ground I can not tell for sure) with hoses all over the place. Does anyone know the sizes of these hoses (diameter) as the ones that are there are literally falling apart and no good for comparisons sake.........

Thanks
    Bob

Hey Bob,
    What year car do you have?
    iddie

Yeah they are 5/8ths i believe. I ordered 3/4th's from cars inc but it was a little too big. Still worked but i didnt go ahead and switch all of them out. ONly the one i needed replacing. Yeah but its 5/8" s for the 54-55 as far as i know. kc

Cool Heating / Cooling System

its a 1955 Buick Special 4 door, 264 Nailhead, 3 speed standard

That's what I have.I replace mine with 5/8" hose as needed.The hoses are easy to change,but you do need to give yourself a little elbow room.The heater on mine is under the driver's seat,in fact,I spend more time under the car than I do in the driver's seat.Have you had the pleasure of stopping a rear main leak yet?I have a bunch of parts laying around so check with me before buying.I owe the members a whole bunch on this forum and if I have something you need,it's yours,but you pay the price of shipping.
    iddie
    Last edited by iddie makel; 03-15-2006 at 03:44 AM.

Cool Cooling

Great thanks for the update

When it is time to do engine work, I think it is coming out and getting rebuilt, but don't tell the wife, she might not like the expense

Bob

If I ever have to get another rebuild I'll research better when it comes to paying for parts and of course the builder.I've had parts break,all kinds of leaks,and even cooling problems.
    iddie

Cooling

I would probably do the rebuild myself, as I am a trained mechanic and have done two 327 chevies and a couple of 350's.

The worst problem is getting the parts to my little island paradise. Would probably take the motor and trans to my fathers shop for dissassembly and assembly, order all the parts and then as they like to say "giter done"

Probably have the tranny rebuilt at same time!!!

I often wish that I had been interested in mechanics when I was younger.I find in retirement that it is very relaxing once someone tells me what to do.Talk with you later.
    iddie