- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Identify your transmission bell

adapter question

Hey Bob ,I bought a sleeve that is made to be use to adapted a 400 flex plate for a nailhead.You grind off the larger centering ring (or have it turned in a lathe)then either have it pressed in or drive it in . Have you heard of this type of sleeve? It also keeps the converter centered.

can't say as i have....
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

will let you know how it works out and take pictures so you can see what I'm talking about

added pics of two GM Manual trans bells, one of them set up to accept Ford transmission!
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

hey?

does any one kneo if thier is a 4x4 transmission out thier that will bolt up to a 66 buick 300 engine. email me at kerry_king_rocks@hotmail.com
    buddy

a lot of Jeeps used Buick v6 and v8 engines in the late 60's and early 70's. check with those guys about what they are using.

also, you can buy adapter plates to bolt up a standard Chevy/GM corp 6 bolt trans to the BOP bell so any GM/Chevy trans could be made to work.
    Vladimir Lenin

Jeep used the old round bell housing transmission (nailhead) in some of their wagoneers for a while after Buick discontinued it in '66 . It wasn't a s/p though. It was mounted to the back of the Jeeps V8 (AMC and/or 350 Buick??) with an adapter. So, there is a source for more of the nailhead type trannies out there than were originally produced up through '66.

Take a look at this link and see what you think of the bell housing.
    http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=5&gl=us

Ed

It was mounted to the back of the Jeeps V8 (AMC and/or 350 Buick??)

yes, Jeep used Buick 350 v8s and 225 oddfire v6s ( Dauntless ) from the late 60s to 71(?). obviously this raises the possibility of a viable 4 wheel drive for a Buick car but i think i'd be leery of trying to adapt a rock crawler trans to a strip or road track car.

yeah, that has that round Nail look to it. weird that AMC would contract for a defunct bell housing and then use adapter plates for every application they put it in.

Ed, you've posted several good, oddball pieces of information. keep it coming man, it's great to see.
    Vladimir Lenin

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    It was mounted to the back of the Jeeps V8 (AMC and/or 350 Buick??)

yes, Jeep used Buick 350 v8s and 225 oddfire v6s ( Dauntless ) from the late 60s to 71(?). obviously this raises the possibility of a viable 4 wheel drive for a Buick car but i think i'd be leery of trying to adapt a rock crawler trans to a strip or road track car.

yeah, that has that round Nail look to it. weird that AMC would contract for a defunct bell housing and then use adapter plates for every application they put it in.

Ed, you've posted several good, oddball pieces of information. keep it coming man, it's great to see.
    My daughters refer to me as a fount of trivial information.

jeep trans

I had a 79 Cherokee at the time I didn't know ,but I now recognize the bell housing pattern as a nail head bolt pattern.They also used Chrysler transmission too. This was bolt to a AMC 360 CID engine