- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: Silver Ghost installation

Silver Ghost installation

Please Help!!!!!!

I have installed a 1941 engine and stock 3-speed transmission into a 1913 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost. I have resolved all the location and suspension problems by means of the Ghost's cantilever leaf springs, rear trailing arms and a panhard rod. I am connecting to a Ford 9" rear using a custom driveshaft. What do I need to do the connect to the transmission? The chassis is pretty close to complete with everything being mounted and located so I can't change components easily. I have read in this forum that Olds and Pontiac transmissions might bolt right in, but it would have to fit since I have all the mounts, linkages etc. complete. I really need your help with this problem. Thank you.

Scott

You didn't mention if you have a 248 or a 320. Olds & Pontiac were open drive as opposed to Buick's torque tube, but ALL the internals are basically the same for 6 bolt top cover trans. As I recall ALL the Pontiac's & Olds used Buick's heavy duty 6 bolt top cover trans. If yours is a 6 bolt also it will just be a bolt-in swap. Only thing to look out for would be input shaft length. If you have a 5 bolt top cover from a 248 it's still possible with some small mods.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Hi telriv,
    Thanks for your response. I have a 248 cu. in. with a 5-bolt top plate. The transmission has a large ball at the back which looks as if it would be a good universal joint. What am I missing? Does oil or transmission fluid pour out of this area or something else happen at that ball joint?
    If I use a 6-bolt top plate transmission, will it fit my bell housing and transmission mount?

Thanks,
    Scott

A Buick straight 8 with a 9" ford diff in a 1913 royce chassis
    What are you building? Any photo's
    A 1913 Royce is worth serious money in any condition

A 1937 floor change will fit, from reports here and on www.aaca.com forum

I think an open drive Ponti will fit (the 5 bolt top cover). And probably the Oldsmobile
    http://www.teambuick.com/forums/cont...e-50-sedanette
    http://www.pontiacsafari.com/L1Garag...ions/index.htm
    http://starchief57.tripod.com/techtips.htm#gear

I have an image of a 1939 or 1940 Buick body on a 1920's royce chassis in South Africa. From cowl forward its 1920's royce sheet metal
    Last edited by 1939_buick; 12-23-2014 at 10:16 PM.
    When better Automobiles were built, Buick built Straight 8's

Buick Club of America
    and Buick Club of Australia

Hi #4,

Thanks again for all your help. I'm just new at "Team Buick" so bear with me. OK, here's what I'm doing. I am building a clone 1913 Silver Ghost, London to Edinburgh. Chassis, suspension, gas tank, wheels and steering column are reproduced Ghost. Lights, radiator surround and steering wheel are original. Front axle, 1941 Ford one ton truck narrowed and dropped an additional inch to match the ghost. Front spindles are 1948 Ford with disc brakes on the front. Yes. I know the disc brakes are not original, but heck they didn't have any front brakes and didn't stop either. Engine, 248 Buick straight eight, transmission (with your help) Olds or Pontiac 3-speed 5-bolt top plate. Rear, Ford 9" narrowed to give a 56" track. I have utilized Weedetr rear trailing arms to locate the rear axle with a panhard arm. I have also reproduced the Ghost's cantilever rear spring set-up. Lever shocks all around. The original car had right hand drive and the shifter was outside the car on the right. I used a Saganaw 525 steering box used on Jeep postal trucks which were also right hand drive. For the shifter I am working out a complex linkage to keep the shifter at the right place. I have tried to stay as faithful to the original as possible. The Buick has the mass and the torque necessary to replicate the Ghost's character. Hopefully it will be a fun reliable car to drive.

I have some experience building bodies so I'm hoping I can successfully build the open tourer. Yes, I do have pictures which I can share, but someone will have to tell me how to send them through Team Buick or give me an e-mail address, to which I already know how to send things.

If you are ask why I want to build this car, my answer is I thought it would be a cool thing to do. A year from now I hope my answer is the same. I have the chassis almost complete in mock-up form except for the resolution of the transmission. If you know where I might find an appropriate Olds or Pontiac 3-speed, please let me know. Thanks again for your interest.

Sincerely,
    Scott Thompson

Scott , Use the manage attachments button when posting to upload a picture. This is a very interesting project. I think we would all like to follow along as you progress. You might even consider the journaling the project.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

Other options for pictures on the site are start an album in your "Profile" ( link in the upper right of the page ). Scroll down the left column.
    or/and
    Start a Journal, found in the main menu bar.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!