Thread: 1962 Skylark engine swap... what to do?

Skreeeboy Guest

Unhappy 1962 Skylark engine swap... what to do?

Hello all, it's been some time since I've posted anything on the forum.

I own a 1962 Skylark. It's my only car and my daily driver. It's the only car I've owned for almost 6 years now. It's hardly in show condition, and it will never be in show condition because it's always going to be driven A LOT.

The car has the aluminum 215, which is a FANTASTIC engine. And I've been wanting to stroke it using the 300 crank, and heads, and yadda yadda yadda. I've gone so far as to have collected the heads, and the crank, and I've put that Edelbrock 500 carb and the matching intake as well as had the intake modified to accept a buick 350 HEI. A T-5 tranny would be nice too, but that's in the future.

Here's my delemma...

Though it's a great engine, I spend far too much time finding parts for it when the thing breaks down. Whenever I need something for that little 215, it always turns into a wild goose chase consisting of me spending hours on the phone, bumming rides from friends with greasy parts in hand only to be told, "Oh, I thought we had it, but that don't match this does it?" or waiting weeks or months for something to turn up on ebay or the internet.

I'm considering an engine swap...

<DISCLAIMER!!!>

I know my Buick should have a Buick engine in it. Though not an absolute purist, I like the idea of my Buick being a BUICK through and through. However, I'm in graduate school, and I have to drive quite a bit for my internships and to work. I'm looking into the possibility of swapping a SBC *gasp!* (I know! I know!) into my Skylark (Chevy 350 to be exact). And though I am considering an engine swap, it would only be temporary (5 years or so). My 215 would be prepped for storage and settled into a nice, clean corner of my garage, where, once I have time and money, the engine will be rebuilt, stroked, and returned once more back home into my Skylark where it belongs.

At the moment, I just need an engine in the car I can find parts for anywhere and that I can mate a common transmission to. According to one source, they've now produced 90,000,000+ small block Chevy 350's. Though not nearly as interesting or as cool as an aluminum Buick V8, parts for the Chevy are EVERYWHERE. And that pretty much sums it up.

I guess, with this post, I'm looking for a few things from you fine Buick people: Thoughts and feelings, technical advice, shortcomings of the idea, and alternatives (possibly Buick alternatives) that would fulfill my needs.

Thanks in advance to everyone, sorry for the lengthy post. I'm just needing help, and you all are the best people to give it to me.

-Eric

I know it wouldn't be easy to find another 215, but if it was in good condition, it would make an easy swap. Then you could do up the one you have right and do as you suggest. I would be afraid that you might find more modifications than you like to put in the cheby.
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Skreeeboy Guest

Question What about another Buick engine instead of an SBC?

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a good idea, but if I were to find another 215, chances are it'd need some kind of mechanical attention (probably more than just once or twice too!) before I finish the stroking job on the engine I have, which would mean more chasing down leads for hard to get parts. The idea is that I want the car to be as practical as possible until I get out of school, have a job for a while and get on my feet, and maybe even get another car as back up transportation. For the time being, I rely completely upon my Skylark to get me where I want to go.

Would another Buick engine be easier to swap in than a Chevy? Or would I face the same difficulties? And if it were easier to use another Buick engine, what is the most numerous (and therefore, the easiest one to find parts for) buick V8?

Red face

Maybe you should look at putting a more common Buick in it. Perhaps a 350? They were built in the in the 60's and 70's. I think they are more plentiful than the 215's. Although they are not as plentiful as Chevy's. They have the BOP bell housing and share similar parts like the carburetor and alternator with the Chevy. Probably an easier swap especially if you get the motor from the donor car and its mounts etc. The downside is that it's been a while since they have made them and they are more expensive for internal parts if you do have to work on them. You might pick up one cheaper because there is less demand for them then the Chevy's that are used in a lot of vehicles. You might like the power of the 350 Buick over the 215 even with the mods you spoke of. Of course there is the nostalgia of the original aluminum motor. Mike

Skreeeboy Guest

Thanks Mikes

Yeah, I had thought about something along these lines, but I wasn't sure which of the Buick small blocks are the most prolific (I'm assuming most prolific = lots of parts available). If I did happen to swap in a 350 Buick, I already have the 350 HEI (pertronix flamethrower). Anyone know how much a rebuild kit for a Buick 350 runs? If I were to go this route, and I were to rebuild one I found, what pistons would be good and how far should I bore it out?

I e-mailed a good mechanic buddy of mine about all of this, and he responded with this e-mail:

"I have not reaserched this subject as in depth as you have, since I don't own a Skylark, but this project might be opening up a whole can of worms. So is it worth it to have a ton of downed car time to make it work , or are you wanting it to be up and running as quickly as possible?

I am not sure about all that might need to be done but the difference in size might put you in a bind in several areas.
    1) Radiator big enough to handle a S.B.C. and is the fan going to hit the rad. They have spacers but how much clearance will you have?
    2) Will the hood shut with a small block under it once you have the intake manifold, carbureator, air cleaner installed?
    3) Is there a kit to install the small block into your car? I mean motor mounts, tranny mounts.
    4) Will the bell of the transmission housing hit the firewall? Also will the distributor hit the fire wall? Right now in my car there is hardley enough room for my HEI cap. Does your current tranny fluid go into the radiator to cool it down? If not you will have to change rads, or run lines out and add an electric cooler and bypass the rad.
    5) Drive shaft length will have to be changed you will need to measure it out and have one cut and welded and balanced so you don't have a high speed vibration. Not to mention you will need an auto shifter, plus remove your old clutch pedal and linkage.

I am not trying to steer you away from it but there will be a lot involved and do you have the time and money right now to do it?

I know we talked about it before but how about a rebuild to it vs. swapping everything?"

So it goes round and round.

Does anyone have any insider information regarding my buddy's response?

It's just so tough wen I have a car I love (especially it's lines... it's the equal, if not much better looking than any other mid-sized car of the era, INCLUDING Mustangs and Chevy II's) but is so hard to locate parts for. I mean, I don't mind waiting weeks or months (or even years sometimes) to locate cosmetic items, but it's really hard when my car is parked, dead in front of my house for weeks on end when I'm trying to find, say, the pressure plate for the clutch.

I think I'm a masochist. I also own a Spanish 1974 Bultaco motorcycle which is utterly impractical as well. But that's another story all together. I'm a slave to my obscure tastes in virtually everything. *sigh*...

Anyways, if anyone else has any ideas that are brighter than mine (it's not hard normally) then by all means, chime in

After replying at the v8buick site, I came across it here too. Now knowing where you live, here's your answer:

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/133186014.html
    ~Steve

Be sure to measure VERY carefully! The front spring towers may give you a problem, as the 215 is a narrow engine ,and the SBC is quite a bit wider.

This is the biggest problem with an engine swap in this body style.
    Joe T
    37Buick coupe /455 powered
    40 Super convert
    72 GS455 convert 13.0/105
    69 Buick Sportwagon
    92 Road,aster wagon
    04 Rendezvous

Skreeeboy Guest

I'm leaning towards...

Thanks everyone for all the imput. It's given me a lot to think about, and I feel I'm going to be able to make a better descision this way.

Speaking of which, I am now leaning more and more towards using a Buick 350. Here are my reasons so far:

1. My car is a Buick, and should have a Buick engine.

2. Power.

3. There will be less headache(s) involved in dropping it in the car (hopefully? maybe? please?!).

4. I've already invested in a Buiick 350 HEI.

5. And, evidently, according to some, a Buick 350 doesn't weigh as much as a SBC, so it might not screw up the handling of the car to an overly noticeable degree.

I was also talking to some friends today, and they reccomended getting a TH200-R4 (the four speed overdrive automatic) that'll match up to the BOP bolt pattern of the Buick 350. Sounds awesome to me

If I were to try and find a Buick 350 (by the way, sorry for alwyas having to add "Buick" each time I mention "350", it's just that we've also been discussing SBC 350, so I don't want any confusion between the two) how much would I expect to pay for a complete one that needs a rebuild? How much would a rebuild kit run me. Yes, I'm looking for power, but I'm also interested in fuel mileage, reliability, and my limited budget. I don't need 300 horses. 200-250 would be just dandy. And I currently have $1000 to put towards the project. How far might this get me if me and my buddy are doing everything ourselves?

Again, thanks all for everything. Much appreciated!