I know! How long is a piece of string? :-) ... but my 1994 Park Avenue has been off the road and sitting in my driveway gathering a coating of dust since July with transmission problems and I've not had the wherewithal to have it repaired! It wouldn't engage any gears - a grating sound when I tried - and I assumed the worst - a costly repair would be needed. I've not even had it looked at by a dealer, as I would probably have had to pay for it to be towed to a shop, pay the diagnostic fees, and then, my fears confirmed, have to pay to have it taken back home without any work done on it!
I now have a tax refund (whoohoo!) that makes me think I might at long last manage to afford the repair work.
Before I take it to the dealer or a transmission shop to have the necessary work done on it, can anyone say what sort of figure might be involved. What is the simplest thing that might be wrong (and what the repair cost might be) and what is the worst (and the cost)?
I'm in Arizona but am from the UK, where I am used to manual transmissions ... (in the UK the ratio of automatic transmissions to manual is probably entirely the reverse of that in the US!).