From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions

Thread: 74 Buick 350 in a Nova

tree Guest

74 Buick 350 in a Nova

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience putting a buick 350 into a 1974 Nova? I know the frame and suspension is the same as an Apollo, but what about the frame brackets that the motor mounts bolt to? I assume that they are different from the chevy engine, so what cars will have the mounts I need? Are there any other details that I should be aware of (I already know that I will have to replace the exhaust).

Thanks,

Tree

Transmission will have to be changed also, different bolt pattern.
    Bill Koustenis
    Advanced Automotive Machine
    Waldorf Md

Original owner:
    1971 Chevelle Heavy Chevy
    1984 Buick Riviera
    1999 Chevy Tahoe 2DR 4WD

Enginerepairshop.com

Not sure if this will help you but this is what we did to drop a 350 buick into a 79 Camaro. We had the 350 engine/tranny combo but the Buick tranny had the long output shaft. Transfered the guts from the chev tranny into the buick tranny case and used the chevy tail stock/output shaft. Installed just the tranny into the car using the cross member to make sure it was where it had to be (used a chain across the frame to hold the front of it up close to where it should sit). Placed the engine in the car (with complete mounts) and bolted the tranny to the block. Once it was all aligned I scribed where the buick mounts were sitting on the chev frame. Pulled the engine and tranny out. Removed the lower part of the mounts from the engine. Placed them on the frame according to my scribe marks. Drilled holes accordingly to secure them and due to where it was resting I had to do some welding as well to properly secure it. From there dropped the engine onto the mounts and put the bolts through the mounts. Reinstalled the tranny (yet again!). From there I had to extend some wires for distributer, gauges etc due to placement differences between the chev and the buick blocks. It was pretty cool to see a 75 Lesabre engine living in a 79 Camaro!

Thumbs up swap

I did a swap in a 78 regal but it was from a 3.8 to a buick 350 and it was a shoe in. I do know that the motor mounts and tranny mount is different than the chevy.If you use the buck tranny then you'll also need to have the drive shaft shortened at least 2 in. maybe three depending on if it's a turbo 350 or 400 tranny.Your exhaust should unbolt from the catalitic converter and bolt right to the y pipe,have fun because it will run a whole lot different.One other thing to check is your rear end make sure it is in good shape or you'll blow the spider pins in it,I did 3 times with in 2 weeks.You might run into a couple of wiring issues also but I'm sure uf you're taking this trip you can figure them out pretty easy