- Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buick 455 Cam questions

Buick 455 Cam questions

Hello all once again, i need your expertice! Im building up my current 1973 455 block to put in my 68 lark, im having issues finding a cam that seems to fit my need...the only cams ive found tend to be from compcams, and they are h252 h260 and h268, im looking for more of a performance cam.. I will be running an offenhousen dual quad intake with about 1000 CFM of flow, i would like to upgrade the cam and lifters from stock so i dont have to detune the living hell out of the carbs, and end up burning something out....any one know of a cam that would be well suited for my aplication?

455 cam advice i got

I am in the process of doing the same 73 motor you are , to put in my 1970 and from all the advice i have gotten the 268 h comp cam(that i just ordered from ebay stores) is the largest u can go if staying with stock pushrods and rocker arms they cant support more than 500 of lift , taperformance.com offers larger but with severe motor mods $$ the specs are in their catolog and they give the needs for the bigger cam. t212 has .489 lift i believe and the comp has .469.... if this isnt true im going to be one unhappy camper as im trying to get as much bang for my buck. the comp cam is $122.00

Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

Yeah, i had been looking at the h268, but i wassent sure if it would force me to detune my engine, I did find a nice one from ...lunati?its listed on summit racing.com only one from them for buick 455...but again i dont know if i would need new pushrods, rockers, springs, so on so forth, but they came highly recomended from one of my Oldsmobile buddies.

Thanks again guys always a big help!

my 2 cents

here's my thoughts not remembering clearly the exact cam
    but i've tried a crane cam and a comp cam., but i wasn't really impressed
    till i ran the gs113a from poston i ran this in a 69 430 w stg 1 heads
    the original pistons and ta intake 850 holley. at 5700 ft yes denver
    this 3800 lb skylark ran a best of 13.40 thats around 12.40 at see level
    i think. I ran this 491/510 lift cam with only the heavy springs and stock
    pushrods and the stock cast alum rockers for three years. my point i guess is yes the cams from ta and poston are more expensive but these are the buick guys crane and comp they're the chevy guys. anyway that should be a fun ride i look forward too hearing how that runs i've always wanted to do the dual quad setup
    Last edited by buick72racer; 01-16-2006 at 04:12 PM. Reason: forgot rockers

Fueler 191 - what compression ratio are you going with? What type of car (weight especially), gear ratio? & converter size? Any head modifications? and what type of characteristics are you looking for? You say you will have about 1000 cfm, if this is based off of adding the two carbs together that method is not accurate. If you are running two 550 carbs that would be way too small. Based on the other factors I asked first you are going to probably need to use a minimum of two 750's.

With regards to pushrod length - do not let changing pushrods deter your cam choice. The reason this must be done is that the stock Buick valve train has no adjustability. TA Performance stocks fixed length pushrods in all different lengths for that exact reason. The TA 212 cam would work fine in most combinations with 9.0:1 cr (at sea level), more compression required at increased elevation.

TA Performance STOCKS dozens of camshafts that cover just about any combination you can put together with a Buick.

This is a plug for TA Performance, because it looked like you guys were just spinning your wheels trying to compromise your combinations to use those generic cams offered by the popular names.

For more information, call TA Performance at 480-922-6807 and ask for Dave.
    Thanks

As of right now the engine im going to be using is built strickly to stock specs (it is a rebuild directly from GM) As for now im debating on rebuilding the heads and such. I guess it would have a lot to do with if i could use the intake setup i already have with the stock speced engine, with out having to severly detune the carbs... btw they are two 500 cfm edelbrocks on it. and sugestions on a cam that i could literally toss in with out having to rebuild the heads, replace the valve train for, yet still give me some performance boost would be keen,

thanks
    -jeff-

as far as the car its going into my 1968 skylark and im thinking of a 3.42 rear end, and MAYBE a 3.73 if i for reason change my mind
    Last edited by fueler191; 01-18-2006 at 02:10 PM.

455 cam

try crower cams,my buick friends and i run them in street/strip 455's and love their performance i have crower cam #52240 in my 455 and it loves it.runs 11.20 with 3.50 gear in 78 monte.

If you are looking for performance one of the TA single carb manifolds will usually out perform a two four set up. For looks the 2 fours are one of the best set ups. I have a 3 twos set up on a 66 442 which is one of my all time favorites.

Also if the 73 is the original low compression set up you can actually slow the car down with a big cam. If you want stoplight to stoplight performance keep the cam smaller like a TA 212.
    Last edited by Flynbuick; 12-27-2008 at 04:04 PM.

I have run the T/As, they do have a lot of choice. I have just discovered the Lutani and if I hadn't already bought a comp cam for my 400 I would try one of theirs.

I don't think you should have too big a problem with too small a cam with the vacuum secondary Edelbrocks. And the rule is you will certainly be happier a little to small than a little to large

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!