Identification, VIN, Trim, Engine Specs and more... 
 '50   '51   '52   '53   '54   '55   '56   '57   '58   '59   o 
 p 
 e 
 n 
 '60   '61   '62   '63   '64   '65   '66   '67   '68   '69 
 '70   '71   '72   '73   '74   '75   '76   '77   '78   '79 
Canadian car identification here: Serial Numbers 1935-1964 | 1965-1966
and more information in the reference section here.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Visually Identifying GM V8 Engines of the 60’s and 70’s

This posting is not about numbers on engines, how does your engine line up with the visuals described here? If you wish to use numbers found on the engine, have you looked at "Buick Engine Identification by the numbers" or "Buick Small Block Casting Numbers" in the "Reference" Section of the site?

The number you present looks like an engine serial number and if it was a ZB, it would work as a 1974 350. This might be able to be confirmed by checking some casting numbers for the 350.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Not sure if these images work motor is in transport at the moment I'll be able to get more information shortly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not a 350 or big block, center intake runners are splayed as with all early gen Buick small blocks. notice also that the valve covers are only four bolt.

this part of the family includes
    1961-63 215ci ( short deck )
    1964-67 300ci ( mid deck )
    1966-67 340ci ( tall deck, same height as 350 )

1966-2004 Land Rover v8s of all displacement

the 215ci and Land Rover engines all share the same unique bell housing. the 300ci and newer engines use the BOPC bolt pattern and the transmission in the bottom photo looks to have the BOP saddle at the top.

engine accessories look pretty old and the deck height looks pretty short.

i'm going to guess a 2 barrel 300ci backed up by a Super Turbine 300 ( possibly a switch pitch torque convertor ).

alum heads and intake was a one year only option on the 300ci, that would define the engine as 1964. cast iron intake and heads could be anywhere from 1965-67.

a couple of 300s have been converted to Buick 340 / 350 crankshafts now, which gives 340ci displacement with no overbore.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Thanks for the info bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newbie needs advice

sorry if im in the wrong place but i need some advice......i have a chance to get a 1965 buick super wildcat with the 425 dual quad motor it is a 4dr car but that dont bother me. my question is it a good find, should i get it ( its in PERFECT cond) and how can i tell when i get there that its all #s correct that the motor came in that car, im pretty sure its all on the up and up but i wanna be sure.........any advice?..................................i have some info.......the engine ID begins with KX could this be a leftover 64 425 dual carb???? i know it is a 425 it has the 704 block casting.......another weird thing is the number on the left front of block dosent match cars VIN but that just means that motor didnt come in that car, right??? but what else thats strange is the number begins with......7K1126291......wouldnt that make it a 67, i tougt nailheads ended in 66????? PLEASE HELP NEED INFO BEFORE I DECIDE TO BUY.........I can also be reached at HRAV5@AOL.COM
    Last edited by ROB66; 09-06-2017 at 07:00 AM. Reason: new info

you should really post this question to a new thread, started by you. you can open it in the Bench, if you want.

you say the EIN and VIN don't match. by definition, this makes the car, "not numbers matching". which means you're never going to win any concours judging events.

"KX" is year specific for a 1964 model car. this concurs with your report that the EIN doesn't match.

Buicks tend not to sell for anything like what the collectable Fords / Mopars / Chevys do. on the plus side, this makes Buicks easy to get into. on the downside, if you put a lot into a restoration you'll never make your money back.

4 door Buicks are almost never worth very much. not sporty, you see.

there is a certain novelty value in the dual quad setup. and, obviously, a spiffy old car always draws interest.

take a look through our Reference section, there's a hot link button in the top tool bar.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)