Identification, VIN, Trim, Engine Specs and more... 
 '50   '51   '52   '53   '54   '55   '56   '57   '58   '59   o 
 p 
 e 
 n 
 '60   '61   '62   '63   '64   '65   '66   '67   '68   '69 
 '70   '71   '72   '73   '74   '75   '76   '77   '78   '79 
Canadian car identification here: Serial Numbers 1935-1964 | 1965-1966
and more information in the reference section here.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Visually Identifying GM V8 Engines of the 60’s and 70’s

Buick Electra 225

I have a Buick Electra 225 Custom 4 Door Hardtop and I am unsure of the actual build date and the type of engine the car has in it.

The identification number is: 484398H340371.

The above suggests it is the above car built in Flint.

Can you help with a year and type of engine?

Thank you.

Peter

it's a 1968 Electra Custom. all of the big cars ( Wildcat, Riv, Electra ) from this year should have the "PD" code 430 cubic inch engine.

IF the Electra used the 100001 and sequential numbering common to the A body cars THEN a 300000 number should be quite a ways into the production run. i know that Rivs use their own sequential numbering starting at 900001 so this might not be true of the Electra either.

you can check your Trim Tag and that will have a date code which will look something like "B2". the B would stand for February and the 2 would be the second week of the month.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Thank you Bob,
    I am still trying to work out if the car has the original Buick 430 engine in it.
    The engine serial no which is stamped on the front of the R/H cylinder bank appears to be 45Z103437.
    Also on the transnission mount saddle appears the numbers 1241748 and what I think is GM 427. Could this motor be a 427?
    I am confused!

Peter

I am still trying to work out if the car has the original Buick 430 engine in it.

sorry, nope.

45Z103437

the FIRST clue is that the last six digits of this EIN do NOT match the last six digits of your VIN.

this EIN should decode as

4 5 Z 103437
    4 = Buick
    5 =
    Z =
    Fremont, CA
    = sequential production number of the car this engine came from, nowhere near your 300000 series car

it seems there was only ONE configuration of 455 available in 1975 for ALL models, so this should be an "AF" code engine.

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/view...t_engine_63-75

decodes as a 455 casting number:
    http://www.teambuick.com/forums/view...bers_big_block

on the plus side, you've got 25 extra cubes, a slightly stronger block, the 800cfm Quadrajet and some larger oil passages/pickup.

on the down side, those heads are GARBAGE, it's a low compression engine and it has deep dish pistons.

if you pull the valve cover you can verify the head casting number at the link i posted above.

not a bad place to start a build from but it's not really ever going to amount to anything in stock configuration.
    Last edited by bob k. mando; 05-04-2010 at 09:38 AM.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Thanks Bob.

You are a geniuis! My research of your various identification information suggested this engine may have been a 455, but I was a little unsure.
    I bought some valve covers from TA Performance, expecting the engine to be a 430, and unfortunately they do not fit. Should they?
    This car has a firewall plate on the car suggesting it may have been asembled in Australia as the plate has General Motors Holden Pty Ltd on it. It also has the normal Buick information plate on the firewall. It is a right hand drive car!
    Who would be the best people to get original carpet, seat trim and trunk carpet?

Thank you.

Peter

I bought some valve covers from TA Performance, expecting the engine to be a 430, and unfortunately they do not fit.

in what way do they not fit? are they too short to go over the rockers or something? 400s, 430s and 455s should all interchange valve covers.

they should be 5 bolt valve covers, 3 bolts on the top rail, 2 on the bottom.
    http://www.teambuick.com/reference/ident_eng_visual.php

Who would be the best people to get original carpet, seat trim and trunk carpet?

i would assume Year One or something like that. i've never done a resto before though.
    Vladimir Lenin

Engine identification

I have a Buick engine that I need to identify. The intake manifold has the number B1236389 on it. The front, drivers side of engine block has the number 1237367 stamped there. Can anyone tell me the year of manufacture, size, etc. or any other information about this engine? Thanks in advance.
    Michael

did you use the first post of this thread to try to narrow the search down a little bit?

i'm not finding your casting number listed under any of our Buick info, although our records are missing many casting numbers so that does NOT mean that your engine isn't a Buick.
    Vladimir Lenin

Hey guys I've been looking through this post but can't really find what I need. I've got what I believe is a Buick 350, engine number is 7B112929 can anyone confirm or shed some more info on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

each valve cover is secured by 6 bolts, 3 on top and 3 on bottom?

the center exhaust ports in each bank are siamesed on the manifold casting?

have you taken a look at the 'where to find the numbers' page?

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/...gine_where.php
    Vladimir Lenin