- 1957 Wiring Diagrams
- 1964 Wiring Diagrams
- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I bypass my starter solenoid?

Can I bypass my starter solenoid?

I can't start my 52 special. I have narrowed it down to the starter solenoid or cranking motor, but am leaning towards the solenoid, which I have already ordered a replacement for. I need it running asap so if it's the cranking motor I need to order it right away.
    Can I run a cable directly from the battery to the cranking motor to see if it cranks properly? If this works the way I think, the cranking motor should crank letting me know it works ok, but the engine shouldn't start because the solenoid won't engage the drive pinion with the flywheel. Am I correct on this, or am I missing something. I just don't really have time to remove the whole thing for a bench test.
    Thanks,
    scott
    scott

i'm not familiar with your particular car but as far as i know the 'shadetree mechanic' means of getting around a bad solenoid has always been to jump/short from the positive terminal of the battery to the starter (for a negative ground vehicle). once the starter receives 12 volt power it engages the flywheel automatically. you normally short it right at the solenoid as you can usually get a pair of trash pliers or a screwdriver shaft or something to both solenoid terminals although you can also use one side of a jumper cable and go straight from the positive battery terminal to the power terminal on the starter. make sure the car is in neutral when you do this.the jumper cable trick is also a good way of isolating bad power cables or connectors.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Thanks for the quick reply Bob. Yeah, I definitly know enough to throw it in neutral, the trick is not to forget! The engine is 6 volt and all original, so some things are a little funky, but the solenoid/cranking motor design seems pretty normal. I'll give it a try tomorrow and find out what happens. I'll go from the battery to the starter rather than the screwdriver method though.

scott
    scott

Quick update... I ran a jumper wire from the +post of the battery to the starter and I got nothing, not a crank or even a noise. It seems odd that the solenoid and motor would both crap out at the exact same time. Am I missing something?
    scott

Unhappy Starter Motor

It is not unusual for both to crap out, but let me ask the eternally bad question......can you turn the motor over by hand?

The only reason I ask is I have seen motors seize and no matter what you do they will not crank over, no matter what you do

Hey Robert, I can turn the engine over just by rotating the fan by hand, so I am glad to say it isn't seized. I just pulled the starter out. It spins freely by hand but does nothing when connected to the battery so I guess it is shot. Now I have to see if I can find a replacement and get it installed by Wedensday so I don't get another street sweeping ticket.
    scott

Motor Turning over

Since you have the starter on the bench, why not try overhauling it yourself?

Finding a new one may be trick, and overhaul parts are available from

http://www.classicbuicks.com/electric.htm

if you have the technical ability to do the work, but their shipping is slow, so you will get another ticket

Bob

I pulled the starter apart and it looks like there could be some damage to the armature which is the one part I don't have confidence working on. I took it to a shop and am waiting for a phone call telling me it's done. I only have about three hours of daylite left, so my fingers are crossed. I'll let you know how the story ends.
    scott

i know there are still shops around here that will rewind starters and alternators and the like.

good luck.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Problem fixed. Once I got the rebuilt starter and new solenoid in, I was still getting an extreemly slow cranking speed, not even enough to get it started. I replaced my 4 guage + battery cable with a 1 guage cable. Then I added a second - cable, one to the motor mount and the second to the frame. Now it cranks over real fast and starts right up. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

scott
    scott