From the Reference Section:
- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 252, 231, 225,198, 196
- 225 V-6 Engine Specifications
    - 2 Less = More, Stage II V-6
- The Baker Buick V-6

Thread: 3.8L engine questions

abe Guest

3.8L engine questions

Does anybody know when Buick started putting superchargers in the park avenues? Was it '92? And when did Buick start in with the 3.8L series II engine? Was the series II engine supercharged? Is Buick still making the 3.8L engine, and what series is it nowadays?
    abe

in 92, the park ave was still on the caprice frame, so i would say that around 96-97 would be when the park ave got a S/C. The series II would have also started around that time. some series II were supercharged, most were not. the parts between the 2 motors are NOT interchangeable, and you cannot just throw the superchager on a regular series II.
    GM is still making the 3.8, but its my understanding that they've redesigned it as a 3.9L and use it in the new pontiac G6 GTP. The original motor design is 20+ years old and I believe its running into problems passing these new emmision standards.

MikeR Guest

Park Ave S/C

My 94 Park Ave is Supercharged (Ultra).
    To the best of my knowledge, all Ultras are supercharged as it is part of the package.

Supercharger

I think the supercharger started in '91 on the Park Ave Ultra. The Park Ave was on the LeSabre platform at that time. The Series I supercharged was rated at 205 H.P. the standard at 170. The Series II started in I think '95, the supercharged was rated at 240 H.P. and the standard at 205. The 3.8 is still around in 2006 and is still 3.8.-Jim
    Last edited by jrlemke; 01-07-2006 at 06:52 PM.
    J.R. Lemke

buggboy Guest
    Park Ave has NEVER been on the Caprice frame since 85, when it became FWD.

Park Ave was "C" body, LeSabre was "H" body, Caprice was "B" body.

half truths

'91 was the first year of the 90's park ave body style. in '92 the lesabre switched over the the body style that is very similar.

park ave is "C" body, lesabre and also bonneville and a few others are "H" body.

'91-'94 park ave as well as '92-94 lesabre are IDENTICAL except the park ave has a completely different trunk. everything from the rear doors forward is IDENTICAL. there are a few very minor changes, such as the hood (park ave had hood ornament, lesabre did not), and also the grille (park ave had plain chrome grille, lesabre had big ugly emblem and some body colored trim around the entire grille) the grilles are interchangeable IF you get the attached brackets with them! the hoods are identical except for the hole for the hood ornament! the trim on the sides of the car is a little different also.

supercharger was on all park avenue ULTRAS i think... i have not verified this. There may have been some '91 ultras that did not have the supercharger..not sure.

you can still get the 3.8L supercharged in the regal GS, the bonneville SSEi, it also came in the olds eighty eight LSS, riviera's were also available with supercharger 96-97 and i believe they came standard in 98-99. to my knowledge there has never been a supercharged lesabre.

'95 started the series II engine. it was available supercharged in '96

i believe they are still using the series III 3800 which just came out a couple of years ago if i'm not mistaken...
    '08 Lucerne, '02 Park Avenue, all the old ones are out of the stable...for now.

abe Guest
    My '91 PA ultra is not supercharged. I still wanna say that '92 was the first year of the sc on the 3.8. I have yet to run across any '91 ultras with a sc. Hey, on another note: What's your take on GM toying with the idea of dropping the Buick name?
    abe