- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: Front Pump for Dynaflow the problem?

san diego buick Guest

Front Pump for Dynaflow the problem?

...i have a 1950 buick super, just had the tranny rebuilt in aug, lately i've had some serious leaks running down the bell of the tranny...my tranny guy is saying the front pump needs to be replaced??? just wanted to get some other suggestions...

thanks.

I kinda' doubt that the pump needs replacing unless your trannie guy wrecked it and is now "covering himself'". The reason I'm saying this is that the pump is a very sturdy cast iron unit and unless there's rocks in the trans for the pump to pick up, about bullitproof. Where it bolts up flat on the trans is a flat gasket, pretty fool proof, however, the front,where the converter plugs in, is a seal. This seal must be CAREFULLY installed. I press it in with a mandrell I machined up to fit it precisely, on a hydraulic press, so its installed dead square. Most install it with a hammer and drift, just pound it in....it can work, or not...another possability, letting the trans just sit around for a while with the converter just hanging there unsuported can distort the seal, it'll leak. Thats about all that can happen, seal wise. However, the converter cover can leak very easly, particulary after a rebuild, and its inches away from the pump, foolin' everybody maybe? The reason is the forces acting on the converter housing are considerable and the bolts can be worked loose,so check them. Pull them up to about 25 lbs. Its more important for each bolt to be within a lb. or less than an exact torque, keep going around and around the cover untill they are all the same. Thats about all that can leak in that area, pretty tough trans... alleycat.