-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: Need Valve cover bolt.

Need Valve cover bolt.

Hi, I am in need of a valve cover bolt for my '53 263ci I8. I busted the acorn nut off with a bit of the stub with it. There are two of them that screw into the head and the valve cover slips over the bolts then two acorn nuts hold the valve cover down. The bolt is about 4 1/2" long. Its 5/8 coarse thread on one side and 5/8 fine thread on the other. Anybody have any? If not, no where to get such an unusual bolt? Thanks in advance

Fryguy

Ace Hardware.

I think when you say 5/8", you are refering to the nut size. It is actually a stud, with an acorn nut on it. The nuts on most of the ones I have are not actually acorns, but shaped similar to acorn but drilled right through. I do have a '53, but don't remember what it is like, I am currently imobilized or I would go have a look.
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Yep, I have do have some confusion. The acorn type nut is 5/8. The bolt is actually 5/16", this is what the guy at Napa told me. The one end is 5/16 coarse thread and the other end is 5/16 fine thread. I checked ACE hardware. They don't have a stud that has fine and coarse threads

Fryguy

sounds like the description for an exhaust manifold stud. contact a local engine rebuilder. they will have something or be able to point you in the right direction.

This almost sounds like a carb. stud . You should find them at any auto. parts store ( NAPA , Pepboys, AutoZone, Advance & etc. ) just ask for a carb. stud 5/16 with coarse on one end and fine on the other end. HTH
    Guyopel

Threaded stud

I picked one up at Auto Zone, for the manifold that sounds to be the same size

That's a standard valve cover or exhaust stud. any good auto parts store should have it. Several of the Ace's I've been to have a drawer of automotive studs.