Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 215 The Small V-8

215 The Small V-8

Did you know that in 1961, Buick added the 215 V-8. The 215 ran until 1963 when it's HP peaked at 200 with 11:1 compression!
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Question Re: 215

Hey Bob,

Wasn't the 215 which had the appearance of a "little Nailhead with the 90 degree valve covers Buick's first attempt at an Aluminum Engine.

If memory serves me correctly the tooling was sold to Rover.

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

Smile 215 Aluminum Engine

The 215 was also raced at Indy in 62 by Mickey Thompson. The aluminum heads were kept around for a while on the 300ci HP (250 hp - KP code)

Denverv70 Guest

Yes, the design was sold to British Leyland, the motor was used in a hardtop MGBGT for UK use only in the mid seventies, the Rovers use a hybrid version to this day. The motor is still popular for street rods, performance boats, and US MGB conversions (the 215 is almost a direct bolt-in for the later "rubber bumper" cars ('76-'80). The all alluminium set up is light and provides good HP.

Oldsmobile also got a version of the 215. The short block was essentially the same, but the cylinder heads (and valve covers) are different, and take one head bolt more than the Buick version. This engine was used in the then-new compact cars, which shared parts among divisions but were each different than the others as well. Furthermore, Oldsmobile Turbocharged its version of the 215 for 62 and 63, in its Jetstar version of the f-85. The turbocharged 215 still had 10:1 compression, so a complex Rochester side-draft carburetor with alcohol injection was used to combat detonation. The little aluminum V8 produced one HP per cubic inch in turbocharged form. Pontiac's Tempest also was available with the Buick naturally aspirated 215, connected thru a torque tube to its rear-mounted transaxle.

I have a 4-bbl Oldsmobile 215, but am not sure what to do with it; I also have an original turbo and carburetor, but not the manifolds. It would be neat in a little street rod with no hood, I suppose.

440shorty
    Three more payments and its mine!

Thumbs up Re: Aluminum 215

Hey Guys

Fabulous Information!

Does the turbo-charger on the Olds F-85 (Which I assume is extremely rare and not many survivors) fit the Buick?

The 215 if installed in that small light MG must REALLY Fly! If I remember correctly the MG in the late 60's-early 70's had a six that was really quick.

With a light V-8 You would really be able to light up the tires!

I know that there must be some members who are 215 enthusiasts, but I would venture to say that there aren't too, too many 215 around and are pretty hard to come by.

Buick only used them I believe from 61-63.

I wonder why they sold the tooling?

I'm not aware of and dependability problems.

Its a nice little motor in a small package.

It has the appearance of a pocket size Nailhead and I can imagine it would have a little kick to it in a light car for which it was designed for.

Any additional Information regarding the 215 would be greatly appreciated!

Regards

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

How about the small V6?

I have a '63 Special, with the 198 V6, one of the first vehicles equipped with a V6, as an option.

Orange

Is that the odd-fire V-6?

beerchamp Guest

Question 62 Buick Special Deluxe w/ 215 V8

I have a #'s matching 215 V8 in my 62 Special. The car has 97,000 original miles and the engine is still really strong! 2bbl carb to boot!

I do have a question about the valve covers- mine aren't painted- is this normal or not? They do have 1 dab of green paint, but thats it!

I'm the third owner, and I'm almost sure that the engine has never been out and the valve covers look like they are straight from factory.

beerchamp Guest

Thumbs up Gm 215 V8

I also read in a car magazine(I believe "AUTOMOBILE") several months back that GM was negotiating with Land Rover on buying back the casting molds for the 215, which has grown to a 231, I think?