Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick Steve should be very happy about this.

Sick Steve should be very happy about this.

Now every forum category is very specifically labeled...
    1955 Buick Special 2dr HT

I do appreciate the change. the mod obviously has a clear sense of understanding. It's juts that I thought there were two very disparate areas--alost like putting the Straight 8 with the Nailhead.

'63 Riviera
    '73 Riviera
    '76 Riviera
    '70 Eldorado
    '78 Tornado
    '94 Lex-***; it's good for something--getting parts!

Wait... so is this where you post cruising songs, or talk about the original sound systems? or both?
    Nick
    1968 Buick GS400 auto
    1972 Olds Cutlass conv. 350, 4 speed (Dad's)

Nostalgia "stereo" implies OEM audio equipment included or optional on old Buicks.

It wouldn't be a stretch to put musical tastes in either category.

BTW: I was just listening to my new $2,200 CD player in my '63 Riv in the garage, after listening to my home stereo, and was blown away. The imaging was incredilbe. The soundstage seemed to stretch out 5 ft. beyond the doors; bass was centered up front. And no unwanted vibrations. After I had stripped the interior, I had added mass-dampening material on all metal surfaces and layers of carpet padding, so the environment was sonically better than most think a car interior can be. And with just 6-speakers in the right locations and receiving signals with staggered discrete crossover points, there were no phase cancellations, so stereo sounded like surround and speaker locations sounded invisible-- The soundstaging was front and center, even sub-bass.

I still can't get over how the right equipment, along with proper installation, can make modern car audio an exhilarating experience.

These are some of the issues that can be discussed in 'all-out stereo.'

'63 Riviera
    '73 Riviera
    '76 Riviera
    '70 Eldorado
    '78 Tornado

The reason I came up with "Nostalgia Stereo" was to imply that you could talk about your stock equipment or modifying your stock equipment to keep the original look. You could also talk about things like the "Custom Auto Sound" line which is designed to keep an original air about the car more than give the high quality that someone in this forum may search for.
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

69Tom Guest

stereo question

I need info on a system for my 69 Electra convertible. I would like to keep the old radio in place. Maybe a new unit in the glovebox? Also, I don't want to make holes or ruin the interior's original look. Ideas or pictures of current set-ups appreciated. Thanks.

If your original radio has has an FM, I would suggest useing a Siruis receiver with it. If you go to the intro page here in the audio, there is a link to sirius. Have a look at their options. Then there is custom audio offers a remote allowing the use of the original radio. It can mount in the glove box. Some people have been know to simply put another receiver in their glove box and abondon the original in the dash, just leaveing it there for the look.
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

We've discussed this before, but let me add my suggestions. Any Fm transmitter is a definte degradation of sound. The glove box has been tried by me and ruins the originality of the glovebox and is a pain to adjust the stereo. The best idea is to look into a hidden pre-amp , like JL Audio's Clean Sweep, which takes your factory source manipulates the signal with 24 bit EQ processing/crossover function/noise reduction, converts the signal to a low-level signal for quality amplifiers, adds connection for HARD-WIRING your other sources (like an Ipod, CD, DVD, cassette, etc. to the hidden unit). The "Clean Sweep" then sends out a clean signal already adjusted with digitally converted crossover points, sub output, etc. for you amplifiers. You control everything with a remote control. Only your factory unit shows.

this was won of the winning highlights of the 2005 Consumer electronic show.

JL Audio Clean Sweep

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...php?page_id=94

Other suggestions: add a small console on the trans hump with anew head unit. Discretely add a new head unit under the dash. Consider talking with a professional who may be able to cosmetically integrate a old-looking new stereo into your dash.

My first suggestion wouldbe the best to preserve originality and add all the equipment you want. Check it out on the web at JL Audio.
    Last edited by sicksteve; 12-03-2005 at 11:08 PM.

'63 Riviera
    '73 Riviera
    '76 Riviera
    '70 Eldorado
    '78 Tornado

Deltawing Pilot Guest

Lightbulb

I recently had an opportunity to make a dream become a reality with Madeleine (my '59 Electra). In earlier times I owned a '62 Pontiac Catalina that was in pristine, showroom condition upon my acquisition of her. EVERY time I turned on the AM radio, I heard music from the fifties (no foolin')! I named her "Christine" for this reason, but I digress... I purchased a micro FM converter to mount in her glovebox (actually it just sat in the glovebox to allow the originality to remain). I have always wanted to do this to my '59 Buick. As I started to say, I recenly acquired a NIB model of this unit on ebay for a fair penny more than I originally spent. Now, the original AM radio still works AND hidden in the glovebox (just sitting there mind you...) is my micro FM converter) that allows us to listen to beautiful FM sound at our whim!

We often carry a portable CD player to hear our favorite tunes, but this way it gives the appearance that we've altered her sound without actually doing any alterations.
    Last edited by Deltawing Pilot; 12-27-2005 at 08:21 PM.

lebu64 Guest

Glad to see the seperate catagory

This topic most certainly deserves a catagory of its own.
    Hack and cut vs. preservation is like a tic-tac-toe game.