From the Reference Section:
- How to choose your new wheels and tires
- Buick Rallye Wheels
- Calculators: Tires, Gears, MPH, etc.
- Wheel Bearing Adjustment, 1963 - 1970
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front lever shocks and lowering question...

Question Front lever shocks and lowering question...

I am planing on lowering my 52 special the low budget way... cutting springs, but first I have to adress my shock issue. My front lever shocks won't hold fluid, so they need to be rebuilt or replaced. When lever shocks are in good working order are they as good as any other shock, or should I look into upgrading to other shocks. Air bags are out of the budget, besides I am still a 6volter. Any experiences or suggestions?
    scott

Lever shocks are quite a heavy duty unit. They are "relatively" soft shock, what do you expect from a Buick. The places they can leak are the shaft seals, they are an ordinary seal available anywhere. From the end caps, a heavy gasket seal suitable for pressure. From the Bottom plug, a flat plate type plug, not unlike a frost plug, but flat.

If they have been run dry for very long, the cylinder could be scored and you may need to find another. I don't know if rebuilders sleave damaged cylinders. They are a slip fit to the pistons and do not use a seal so fit and amount of scoring is important.
    If you lower by cutting the springs, you will probably run into the same problems anyone else does. You will not have as much travel in the suspension when you hit a bump before the suspension bottoms.
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Thanks Rcull. I believe mine are leaking from the bottoms. Do you happen to know if the bottom plug can be replaced? My shop manual claims the unit needs to be replaced.
    scott

The bottom plug is primarily for access during the assembly of the shock and hold the resevoir oil. If I remember right, it uses a fine conventional type gasket. You cannot use a disc plug avaliable from parts stores because they have too much bevel. I made mine by cutting shafting on a lathe to the appropriate thickness, then placing a bit of silicone on the lip it sits on to, tapping in the plug and then staking the casting with a blunt chisel.
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Thanks Rcull,
    I think this is yet another project that is going to have to wait until I get a garage.
    scott

shocks

Chub, As I mentioned in another thread, I like the ride the knee action shock gives. I'll throw money in another direction. Mine don't leak though, so I'm not sure about rebuild/replace costs. ~T~

Quote Originally Posted by tbone
    Chub, As I mentioned in another thread, I like the ride the knee action shock gives. I'll throw money in another direction. Mine don't leak though, so I'm not sure about rebuild/replace costs. ~T~

Rebuild cost is $165 each from Apple Hydraulics, so you can see why I wouldn't want to rebuild them if they wouldn't ride well once the springs are cut.
    scott

I would suggest that ride hieght won't make any difference to the shocks. The biggest thing about changing ride height by cutting springs is you will have less travel before bottoming on the frame snubbers.

Good shocks help though!! they're important on a normal car, on a lowered one they're ESSENTIAL. Trust me. I drove down 99 in California with the original shocks and nearly broke my neck on the ceiling!!

I would like to keep the lever action shocks if possible. I guess my next step is just to get them off the car for an inspection and see where that leads me. Maybe I can get them sealed up without having to get them rebuilt.
    scott