- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1955 Buick Special 3 Speed Transmission

Question 1955 Buick Special 3 Speed Transmission

ok....Does anyone know where to locate a seal kit for the 1955 Special, 4 door, 264 engine, 3 speed, standard transmission?

Mine only leaks when it is being used or sitting still, so I think I need a seal kit for the darn thing.

Also, would I be correct in my thinking that the whole rearend must come otu to remove the tranny to replace the seals, clutch, etc.?

Bob

Hey Robert,
    I haven't found any seal kit vendors yet,but,I'll keep looking.The rear end does not have to come out,but you will need to disconnect it and slide it back out of the way.Do you have a shop manual?
    Iddie

3 Speed Transmission

Yes I have the service manual for the vehicle.

Hello Robert,

I asked about the manual because I have both the chiltons & the Buick shop manual for '55,& both gave conflicting information.The members here really helped me out tremendously.I'm trying to remember all that I did to slide/roll the rear end back.I know I put the Buick on jack stands,and placed a floor jack under the rear end.I removed the bolts that held the shocks to the rear end,and removed two large nuts that held the lower end of the coil springs to the rear end.I think there were four bolts that secured the torque tube to the torque ball.I did not remove the brake line,but did loosen the emergency brake cable.I pulled & pushed on the tires and the rear end rolled back.Getting it back together was another story since I didn't have any help.I know I'm forgetting something but hope this helps a little.I'm also figuring that someone else will add what I forgot.
    Iddie

palbuick Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Bates
    ok....Does anyone know where to locate a seal kit for the 1955 Special, 4 door, 264 engine, 3 speed, standard transmission?

Mine only leaks when it is being used or sitting still, so I think I need a seal kit for the darn thing.

Also, would I be correct in my thinking that the whole rearend must come otu to remove the tranny to replace the seals, clutch, etc.?

Bob
    HI Bob
    Probably what you need is refered to as the tourque ball seal kit, consisting of several different this gaskets of varing sizes and the tapered cork seal. I think that CARS, Inc, has the set. try their site at www.oldbuickparts.com.
    Jim Schilf
    palbuick

leaks

I looked into leaks and repairs and my understanding is if it is the trans. that is leaking, there are parts. There are also parts I have found for the torque seals on the drive shaft, however I was told it's going to leak after you repair it again because of design, and not to bother. The other thing that happens is the trans. can leak down the tube and fill the rear end. There's always torque tube seals on e-bay, nos ~T~

Well ill tell u this brother! Thats a bunch of bullcrap. The leaks might not be a big deal but ill tell u this from experience, the torque ball seals and drive shaft seals set DOES work. I was told the same thing, but after taking my car to my transmission shop that rebuilt it (3 times) they finnally sealed it up. and not even one peck of a drop comes out now. Ill tell u this, the torque ball kit is a must and so is the drive shaft seal. Unfortunely it might be kind of expensive for u to get this done considering theres no mechanical failure. But i had a warranty on myne and took it back until it doesnt leak anymore. AT ALL. It is common for these transmissions to leak, but im sorry to say that this isnt a normal thing that should be ignored. I think it is a must, it will only get worse with time, and trust me from my experiences there where times i had to add a whole quart to the tranny almost every 2 days. THis becomes annoying, and costly. And not to mention it makes horrible looking stains on ur drive way. GEt this done, because in the long run u will need and want it corrected. Plus a well tuned, rebuilt car must NOT Leak! kc

palbuick Guest

Oil leaking

There is also one other seal on the trans that may be leaking. On the drivers side of the trans case there is a shaft seal, on the trans selector rod. this seal commonly leaks.
    Best advise is to pull trans completely out and do al the seals. While out check clutch plate and disc.
    All the seals and clutch pieces are available, not too hard to find.

Jim Schlf
    palbuick

Lightbulb Re:Seal Kits

Hey Bob!

How have You made out with you seal problem?

I don't know how I missed this post!

I am a bit tardy but If your haven't found what You are Looking for ?

Where is it leaking from? The Transmission, Torque Ball?

Try this place Northwest Transmission parts 800-327-1955

Kanter 800-526-1096

Fatsco 800-524-0485

Patco 810-776-7300

Bob's Automobilia* 805-434-2963

Buick World* 360-825-3787

The last 2 with the * Bob's and Buick World are Mom and Pop Establishments on the West Coast (Pacific Time) and are Buick ONLY Speciality Parts Houses
    They will bend over backwards to HELP! and Assist You.
    If they don't have an item they will usually direct you to a Vendor/Supplier who does carry/stock the item.

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

3speed transmission on ebay

Robert bates, i recentley sent u a private message on a 1955 buick 3 speed transmission on ebay. It has been totaly rebuilt and was sitting in some old mans garage for a couple of yrs now. But u never answered me at all? It seems to be in very good condition and u could swap this out with ur current one. The best thing about it , is its going for 100 bucks for the past couple of weeks and since the 3 speed is fairly rare it hasnt been bid on. Everytime i see it while shopping on ebay ive seen it and it reminds me of u and ur post a few weeks back.. u should check it out. The only problem i could see that could be a problem in the future is i dont think the transmission casting numbers will match, but hell u could always use this on for now and slowly rebuild ur original one with ur own skill and parts. It seems to be a very small transmission, u should check it out brother! kc