- Auto Refinishing, featuring Brian Martin
- Body Cross Reference,A,B,C...
- 1967 Hood Scoop Installation Pattern
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chopping a 1950 Special

So Low 5-0 Guest

Question Chopping a 1950 Special

Hi,
    I'm new to the team buick forum and internet forums for that matter. Well, I just purchased a 1950 Buick Special 2dr (Jet-Back). I have hopes of making a custom out of it. There is currently no glass in the vehicle. This gave me the idea of chopping the roof before i get new glass. As many of you know this probably isn't the easiest task. I'm 21 and inexperienced in the body work field but I do have a relative who is a professional welder. Well, what I am wondering is there anyone out there who has either done this themself or had it professionally done. If done themself would you recommend doing it for a first time chop (got to learn sometime right?), or if sent out to a shop what would I be looking at $$$$$ wise? Any input on what I'm getting myself into would be greatly appreciated!

I have a few friends that have chopped tops and sectioned vehicles more than once. I can say you should at least become very comfortable with body work before you even attempt your first time learning experience.

The glass is a big problem with any curved pieces. They can not be cut! This is one reason choptoppers usually prefer older flat glass cars.

As for paying for it, it would definitly be a big buck item from the time my friends put into it.

Chopped tops are cool!!!
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

First off, I can give you a lot of advice being I chopped my first car (well, it was a truck) at 16 years old. But I won't, I refuse to give you any help unless you promise, PROMISE with your hand on the Bible that you won't put a Chevy engine in this car! I mean it, if that is your plan, forget it. If you are willing to listen to the arguments against it, and are willing to entertain the thought of putting a Buick motor and drive train, then I will walk you thru it and give you all kinds of other information and sites to go to for help.

But first you have to PROMISE.

Brian
    "Fan of anything that moves human beings"
    1965 Gran Sport Conv.
    1948 Chevy P.U.
    1959 Rambler American, yeah I said Rambler, you want to make something of it punk?

So Low 5-0 Guest

A promise to Martinsr

There is no way a chevy engine is going in my Special. I'm doing away with the inline 8 of course. I do have a fully rebuilt 400/400 combo from my 67 GS, Minnesota rust ate the car, so thats going to be the engine. ALL BUICK!!!

LOL, ok guy, here goes. First off, there are a number of good sites like "Hotrodders.com" with a very active forum dealing with this stuff everyday. This is the site for Buick stuff there isn't a guy there that would know the difference from a Nailhead and a fish head. So come back here for you Buick stuff.

The windshield on your car is safety plate and can be cut without much of a problem, there are tons of guys out there that can do it for you. The side windows are all flat, you just make all new stuff out of safety plate. The back glass, that is the curved, tempered glass that can not be cut. I am actually at this time working on some "experiments" to cut it. I am not there yet, but I think I am going to be able to do it. But as of right now, it is impossible.

The chop isn't that hard, pretty text book actually. I am not saying it is easy, but very doable.

Pick up a book called "Tex Smiths How to for top Chops" I am not certain that is the exact name but I there is some great info in it. Study this book for quite a while before you start cutting.

Are you familiar with the fact that the roof is "too small" when you shorten the posts? Being the post is at an angle, when you remove some from it, the roof can't reach the new shorter post, you get it?
    One of the procedures you will see is where you cut the rear window frame out of the top then chop the top and move it forward mating the windshield posts. You then re-install the back glass frame by laying it down to fit the new lower "shorter" roof.

Lets just start talking here, tell me what you know about it.

Brian
    1965 Gran Sport Conv.
    1948 Chevy P.U.
    1959 Rambler American, yeah I said Rambler, you want to make something of it punk?

Here is a link to the book that MARTINSR is recommending...
    Click Here to buy now from Amazon!
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

So Low 5-0 Guest
    I'm understanding you for the most part there Martinsr. With this car I am confused about how to keep the roof to trunk transition as smooth as possible. I'm looking at chopping the roof 4", if I than "lay" the rear glass forward won't this make the transition look awkward. This car is the "fastback" body style which is why im so confused, this chop looks hard as hell compaired to the traditional roofs of the 50's & 60's. Also, I purchased the book that you recomended for me, should be here by the end of the week. I'll have more knowledge on this subject in a bit so I will be a bit closer to the page that you are on. If you are at your local news stand look at the November 2005 issue of Custom Rodder, there is a 1950 Buick on page 56, thats what I would like the roof on my car to look like. Well thanks for the input so far!

Ahhhh, a fastback, that does take a bit more surgury. I need to be looking at one to give you any advice. I'll get that mag and see. The quarters can be pie cut down along the deck lid so you drop the whole deck lid down, laying the whole roof down at the back. I have also seen where they sectioned the lid and broght it down with the roof.

Four inches is quite a bit, the less you chop the easier it is on something like that fastback. I havn't done one so I am just looking at photos and that can be hard. Sometimes Four inches could be next to impossible while three and a half or four and a half are easier if that makes any sense. I believe that Tex Smith book has a fastback Chevy in it, could be of some help.

Brian
    1965 Gran Sport Conv.
    1948 Chevy P.U.

51 Sled Guest
    Wow a 50'...cool,
    I have a 51' special & I'm gonna chop it in the spring. The books are a capital idea - I will get em too.
    I figure a good appoach is, you & I vs an inanimate object. Take yer time & find a local guy who's done it before. Perhaps even offer up a couple of beer to yak over the whole thing. I have a neighbour whos chopped a few cars, so I'm going to ask for his wisdom.

So Low 5-0 Guest
    Good luck with your 51'. I'm hoping that I can find a local person who has had experience with chopping these types of vehicles. Being as young as I am I find it hard to get people to listen to me about these types of things, (most think I'm bullshitting) but I'm not, I'm a young guy who likes classic cars, and perfer to do my own work. So I thank you all for your input so far! Still waiting for the book to get here to see how this chop is done. Also I'm trying to post a pic of my project. So keep an eye out!

Thanks,
    John