Thread: PayPal spam!

PayPal spam!

Since someone figured out a PayPal spam a few months back, I see it is still showing up in my email and I'm sure a few others.

It reads similar to:

Dear PayPal,

We recently noticed one or more attempts to log in to your PayPal account
    from a foreign IP address.

If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual log in
    attempts may have been initiated by you. However, if you did not initiate
    the log ins, please visit PayPal as soon as possible to verify your
    identity:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr? cmd=_login-run

Verify your identity is a security measure that will ensure that you are
    the only person with access to the account.

Thanks for your patience as we work together to protect your account.

Sincerely,
    PayPal
    ------------------------------------------------ ----------------
    PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD

NEVER give your password to anyone and ONLY log in at
    https://www.paypal.com/. Protect yourself against fraudulent websites by
    opening a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Netscape) and typing
    in the PayPal URL every time you log in to your account.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be
    answered. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the
    "Help" link in the header of any page.

PayPal Email ID PP321

If you click through on the link, you will find it goes to a page which looks like Paypal, but only uses an IP address. While the spam is operating, your browser window will show an address similar to:

http://86.106.75.1/.cgi-bin/cgi-bin/webscrcmd_login.php

Note that it no longer says:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr? cmd=_login-run

If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Me Too

I hve recieved that also. I have gotten a few items from ebay. Yet I ONLY deal in money orders. (I don't even have a PayPal account) It has happened to me also with Comcast. my internet service. Dident even click on it. Called them on it and they wanted it. So sent it to them as spam. Sent the PayPal thing to them also. Bout 3 times.
    thanks fer the info knuck...

Actually, that is a "spoof" e-mail. Spam is an effort to get you to buy a product or service. (i.e.--advertising) The mail you described is a "spoof" that seeks to gather personal info. I know ebay has a system to report such mail, but I can't recall wether PayPal does or not. I get ebay spoof mail from time-to time, and I just forward it to ebay. -Zach

PAYPAL SPOOF ADDRESS: spoof@paypal.com

FW: Receipt for Your Payment to rdsntwrk31@yahoo.com‏From:scottfisherSent:Wed 9/24/08 5:12 PMTo: spoof@paypal.com
    .ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P{padding:0px;}.ExternalClass body.EC_hmmessage{font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;}From: PayPal
    Subject: Receipt for Your Payment to rdsntwrk31@yahoo.com
    Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 08:04:19 -0400

Dear PayPal Member,This email confirms that you have sent an eBay payment of $8.00 USD to rdsntwrk31@yahoo.com for an eBay item. This credit card transaction will appear on your bill as "PAYPAL *top-classics".--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Payment DetailsPurchased From: top-classicsTransaction ID: Ad7234322k3444Item # 23445666667 Item Title: Track Top jersey JACKET~XLQuantity 1Price Subtotal $94.99 USDShipping & Handling via Standard International Flat Rate Shipping - US to 90210(includes any seller handling fees) $12.00 USD Shipping Insurance (not offered): -- Total: $106.99 USD Buyer: Doitkova Irvine --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Note:If you haven't authorized this charge ,click the link below to dispute transaction and get full refundDispute transaction (Encrypted Link* )*SSL connection:PayPal automatically encrypts your confidential informationin transit from your computer to ours using the Secure Sockets Layer protocol (SSL) with an encryption key length of 128-bits (the highest level commercially available)-----------------------------------eBay User ID: top-classics --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Doitkova Irvine UNCONFIRMED Address--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Doitkova Irvine1 Steel St. Springtown, CA 90259United StatesImportant Note: Daphne Irvine has provided an Unconfirmed Address. If you are planning on shipping items to Daphne Irvine, please check the Transaction Details page of this payment to find out whether you will be covered by the PayPal Seller Protection Policy. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Thank you for using PayPal!The PayPal TeamPayPal Email ID PP98772

NO I NEVER DID THIS, PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS!
    THIS IS A COPY

THE IP ADDRESS IS FROM CHINA!
    Last edited by scottfisher; 09-26-2008 at 08:57 PM. Reason: SPOOF!