Thread: '57 Buick Suspension Parts Needed

mikemanguno Guest

Question '57 Buick Suspension Parts Needed

I am restoring a '57 Buick Century 4 dr hardtop. I am looking to purchase new / rebuilt front and rear suspension parts to include; Springs, ball joints, bushings, sway bar, shocks, etc.

If anyone out there knows of a reasonably priced kit for this, I would appreciate the information.

Many thanks.

Angry Re; '57 Suspension Parts

Hi Mike!

Sorry to say, but every model has it's Achillies Heal and with the '57 (which by the way I think is one of the most beautiful cars ever made) it's the Front End. There are no "reasonalby priced kits". They Don't Exist.

The '57 front end is a one year wonder and Economics 101 Supply and Demand holds true.

The Cheepest place that I know of is Kanters out of Booton, NJ. They have different kits available with the DeLuxe Kit going for about $1,150.00. They do have cheeper kits that are not as comprehensive, going for about a grand.
    You can also get Individual parts depending on Your Particular Application, but that will probably cost you as much or more than a kit ( of course that depends on you needs.

There is no cheep way out of a '57 front end!

Like I said it was a one year wonder! I don't know if the Original Front end lacked the necessary grease fittings or was just a poor design or bad engineering but they have always been a big expensive problem.

Other '57 owners may be able to fill you in a bit better! I know they always wear out and parts are really expensive. I think Kanter has the best deal on the current market and vendor/suppliers for '57 front ends are few.

Sorry to be the one to break the bad news.

Regards,

Tom Gallagher

I know on my '56 there are something like 24 grease fitting in the front end and steering links
    Last edited by Tom Gallagher; 09-29-2005 at 08:41 PM.
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

Thumbs up

Kanter carries most of the stuff you need if not all. The ball joints are going to be the big ticket items. 57 was an all ball joint suspension and was not their finest hour. Don`t go with an all gas shock, it makes for a rough ride. Kanter makes a gas assist shock---I like them on my 57. Outside of the ball joints you may find some items at your local auto store. Tommie G on this forum has a good list of vendors. Good Luck to ya!!

Lightbulb Re: 57 Suspension

Hi Mike

You can also try

Just Suspension 973-808-0066

Raine Automotive Spring Warehose 800-290-0655 www.autospringwarehouse.com

Vintage Parts House 215-348-1964

Rare Parts Inc. 800-442-6046 www.rareparts.com

Buick World 360-825-3787

Those are Your best bets for alternative solutions.

Regards,

Tom Gallagher

mikemanguno Guest

Thumbs up '57 Ball Joints

Thanks for the info guys - it is greatly appreciated.
    Although I want to keep the Buick as original as possible I am told that replacing the front and rear suspension is also an option.

One guy told me he used a Jaguar front and rear with not too much difficulty.
    I would just as soon purchase a bolt on aftermarket suspension (if available) and thereby have better handling and parts availability.

I see Jegs has a front suspension system.
    I will look for others. Any suggestions in this area ?

I have changed the rear suspension to an open driveline on my 57 Special and re-did the brakes with a newer style booster. Also went with the 700r tranny using an adapter. I am happy with the results so far but still need a little tweeking. If had to do it all over again I would like to try and put the body on a newer chassis. The 70`s boatail Riv`s have the same wheelbase---122 inches-- as your 57 and I think this would be a good donor car. The old Dynaflow can be rebuilt for about $1500 bucks---front end and brakes another $2000---so it all depends on how much you want to be challenged and how many bucks you want to spend! They are all wallet eaters no matter how you look at it. Good Luck to ya!!!!

Question Re: '57 Rear Suspension

Hey BeBop!

How U' Doin'?

Tommy G present and accounted for!

When You eliminated the "Torque Tube" and converted Your '57 to an "Open-Driveshaft" What did You use for a Rear End and with "Coil Springs" in the rear.
    What did You do to "Stabilize" and anchor the "Rear Suspension"

Inquiring Minds want to Know

Regards,

Tom Gallagher

Tom, I had mentioned it on a older post, but just for you----you can use your old housing, atleast on the 57, it would be interesting to check the hollander on this. Pull your axels, drop the torque tube, the old third member comes out and in goes a 61 pumpkin--other years MAY work , thats where checking the hollander comes in. This way everthing outside of my ladder bars bolted right up---did have to make new shock mounts and move them more inboard to clear the bars. The whole issue on any change is to make sure the pinion angle is correct. I am still make changes to get this correct, my mistakes are others gain. There are other issues , as shift linkage, change the whole column or floor shift. Gas pedal linkage--most likely will have to go with a suspended pedal. If you go with an adapter you will have to raise the floor level to clear the new tranny because you moved the tranny back the thickness of your adapter, thus creating a clearence problem. This is where I made my mistake, I thought I had the correct pinion angle so I welded the floor back up------still needed more travel upwards on my angle and I ran out of room, so I have to re-open the the floor and fix the problem. Lessons learned-----------Make SURE you have ALL your susspension correct BEFORE you make my DUMB mistake----got in to big a hurry!!!! Take care Tom--------------------Happy Trails-------------Lee