- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: Dynaflow leaks from dipstick

calzplace Guest

Unhappy Dynaflow leaks from dipstick

Hi everyone,

I just got my '55 special up and running, and got a chance to take it for its maiden voyage around the block. It's a 264 with dynaflow, and the tranny is used but the person I bought it from said that it worked fine. During the first spin around the block it drove for about 2 blocks and then the tranny started to slip. Luckily I drove uphill so I shut it down and coasted back to the garage. I started it up and checked the fluid levels and there wasn't anything on the stick. I thought that the fluid probably circulated through the pump and everything so I added another 2 quarts of ATF to it.

The 2nd drive around the block, everything seemed fine until I came back and put it in park. When I did that, a bunch of ATF flowed up and out of the dipstick. I checked the fluid levels in park (while running) and there was only a small drop of fluid on the end of the stick.

Does anybody know what would cause this? Why would it seem like it's low on fluid, yet blow a bunch of it out of the dipstick tube?

Thanks for any info!

sergio Guest

Dynaflow leaks from dipstick

This may be an indication that the vent tube is clogged. The part of the fluid that is supposed to be at atmospheric pressure is becoming partly pressurized. If you had an aluminum trans, a porous case might also be suspect. This should not happen with a dynaflow though.

calzplace Guest
    Hi sergio, and thanks for your reply!

The dynaflow is from a '56, so it's a cast iron case, but the vent tube seems like it could be a culprit. Where is the vent tube at on the transmission? I don't remember seeing anything obvious besides the cooler tubes, do you know where the approx location of the vent tube is?

Thanks again!

calzplace Guest
    You can disgreguard that last reply, I think I know where the vent tube is. ;-)

sergio Guest

vent tube location

For anyone who is wondering... The vent tube exits at the rear of the trans. It is very close to the rear seal. So, it is easy to envision how crud could clog up this tube.

calzplace Guest

Smile

I figured it out. When we painted the tranny, a bunch of paint flowed into the vent tube and clogged it up. After clearing it out, everything worked fine.

Thanks again!