Thread: 56 Power Steering Pump

56centwagon Guest

56 Power Steering Pump

Hi need some advise on a 56 Buick I am restoring. The car has no power steering pump, it was missing when I bought it. Can anyone tell what other years of power steering pumps that will fit the car.
    If anyone has a spare one setting about the garage I would like to purchase it.
    Thanks in advance.
    Andy

Thumbs up Re: Power Steering Pump

Hey Andy!

I see that YOU are a NEW MEMBER WELCOME ABOARD

I don't know if You need Brackets or any other connections, but
    You might want to make a laundry list!

Those Estate Wagons, Models 49 & 69 are Really Sweet and are quite rare having low production numbers. The Wagons are also quite singular in that they had certain Interior Options that were not available on OTHER Models such as the Ivory & Red and the Tan and Beige Interiors

When You get a chance, provide us with some more Information about Your New Project! Condition Color Sceme ETC. And.... Everyone like to here the Story behind the Story as to how You acquired Your Buick.

I'm also a Proud Owner of a '56 in the process of restoration and would like to HELP! You out and compare Storys.

Don't be a STRANGER an keep US informed of your Progress.

There is a Fellow Valued Member who is truely a Buick Brother, Who is Known as Knuck who has a '56 Parts Vehicle, Who I'm sure would love to accomodate Your Wants and Needs and the two of you would be able to HELP! each other out.

Knuck has recently HELPED me out of a Sticky Situation. He is the BEST, The REAL DEAL and the Genuine Article. You won't find ANY Individual that is more Upstanding!

I"m sure Knuck would be up to the task and more than ready willing and able to accomodate YOU to the Best of HIS capabilities.

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Last edited by Tom Gallagher; 09-14-2005 at 06:48 PM.
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

56centwagon Guest

56 power streeing pump

Thanks for the reply Tom.
    I registered last night (new to the forum) and posted on my 56 wagon with the m.i.a.power steering pump. I bought two 56 wagons a Century and Special from a defunked wrecking yard in Merlin Oregon back in 1999. Paid about $2000 for both the rust buckets, the Century even started and ran. That is the only item I am short to restore the car is a power steering pump and of course some parts are worn out and need to be replaced or rebuilt.
    Doing a full frame off restoration, installing full air ride, stock running gear all being rebuilt, will be a very nice weekly driver.
    Signed up for the parts search (free one) and I got an offer of a used steering pump from a salvage yard at $80 delivered this morning.
    You will be seeing posts from me over the next year as the car goes back together.
    Andy

Re: '56 Buick Estate Wagon

Andy

Just Curious?

Where did You Find the PARTS SEARCH!

What Salvage Yard had the part you were LQQKING for?

You Stated that Both Wagans are Rust Buckets. Are You able to get a complete wagon out of the 2 of them?

Besides the obvious problems Floor Boards are another concern, however there are a few vendors that make new ones and sell them in sections.

Tailgates are also a problem.

Rear sections of Interiors like the Cargo Area could also be a concer due to color and low production.

Ken Reeves at Wheatbelt Buick may be able to HELP! You out there.

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Last edited by Tom Gallagher; 09-17-2005 at 07:09 AM.
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

56centwagon Guest
    Hi Tom
    On the home page of Buicks.net there is a parts search link and you fill out the survey and submit, it asks for money using credit card but I did not pay anything I just submitted. So far I have received 3 answers about my power steering pump query and the one that gave me a fair price was a Salvage Yard in South Dakota (Classic Auto).

Yeah, both wagons are rusty especially the cargo area between the tail gate and the back seat. The 56 Special was totally gone the Century is so bad I am going to have a sheet metal shop build a box to replace that section. In that area I will install a Fuel Cell, the battery, all the guts for Air Tech air ride and hopefully a spare tire. Also need to install new kick and front floor pans but just front seat forward. In fact I already have some of the floor pans that I ordered from CARS Inc. Tailgate looks as if I can salvage it.

I guess I got lucky as the former owners of the 56 Century took good care of it and the wear and tear is not bad. The suspension is in good shape as it must have gotten a lube and oil every 3000 mile or less. Huge amounts of grease build up around the zerk fittings but no excessive wear except the king pin bushings. I bought a king pin bushing set from Terrill machine in Texas $40 and had the local machine shop do the fitting.

One other thing, there is a local guy that has a (new?) Dynaflow trans converter and all, what do you think it is worth?

Andy