Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '55 Special Radiator

MP33 Guest

'55 Special Radiator

I'm in need of a new(prefered) or good used radiator for a '55 Buick Special. 264 with a dynoflow.

Please let me know what you got or where to get it.........Mike

Hey Mike,
    I have a '55 special with 3 speed.I had mine recored several month's ago.I pulled mine (after consulting with the members here)and took it to a local radiator shop.The radiator guy gave me a few options but I decided to go with the heavy duty core.Someone will probably post where you can get a new one,I can't remember. Regardless of which choice you make (recore or new)be sure to get a new radiator cap.
    Iddie

MP33 Guest

Thanks

My local radiator shop said it would be pretty expensive for the core material and labor and it may be cheaper to get a reman. Maybe I need a new radiator guy?

what was the man's definition of expensive?

Hey MP33,
    I think I paid approx.$250 out the door for the heavy duty re-core.I didn't want to take a chance on a used one.I also think labor probably depends on your geographic location.I also wanted to keep as much of the car original as I could so installing a reman.was not an option for me.
    Iddie

Lightbulb Re: Radiator

Hey MP33

I see that You are a NEW MEMBER! WELCOME ABOARD!

I'm not aware of any vendors that have remanufactured radiators. Not much call for 50 year olds parts.

You could get one at a salvage yard. I don't know what the cost would be, (plus Shipping) but in a few years you could be confronted with the same problem.

Do it ONCE and Do it Right the first time. The problem will be over and done with and well behind you for another 50 years of service.

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

MP33 Guest

Thanks

Thanks Guys,

His idea of expensive was $4-500 for the core material and $40/hr for labor ???

four to five hundred plus labor does appear to be on the very high end. if you pull the radiator yourself, you can get a good quality piece for around three hundred +/-

Lightbulb Radiator

I would do the R&R and do some shopping around.

I don't know your venue but in some areas vendors/suppliers who don't really want to get involved with the project or are unfamiliar with construction will quote you an outrageous price.

Check with owners of your local Buick Club or local car show. They should be able to direct you to reputable shop.

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

Hey MP33,
    I don't know how many hours it takes to produce a re-cored radiator but $40 or $50 bucks an hour plus parts is a price I could not afford.I am so fortunate to have access to this forum,because the help and concern from the members has been more than fantastic.I dug out my recore receipt from April of this year.I paid $239 plus $11.95 tax out the door for a 22 1/4 x18 3/8 x1 1/2,tubular 3 row replacement with a one year warranty.I really don't understand the importance of all the numbers but my problem has been solved.I took the advice of Tom,heidigirl,and many others on this forum and pulled the radiator myself.I found a small established radiator shop,and the owner was very helpful.If you can,try to follow Tom & heidigirl's suggestions,and look around for a shop you can feel more comfortable with.
    Again,I want to thank all of the members who have helped me.

iddie