Thread: Loose steering

Deluxe Guest

Loose steering

My -64 Riviera has excessive play in steering (straight-ahead position).
    I have the Shop Manual and I'm aware of this service procedure generally.

Anyway, I know from experience that this kind of procedures may lead easily into disaster, when adjusting the steering gear without knowing exactly how---> too tight

So I'd like to know how precise have you guys been when adjusting your steering..and is there some special features?

Any comments and advice are welcome!

I adjust mine in the straight ahead position. Loosen the lock nut, turn the screw in until you feel it resist, turn it back slightly, tighten the lock nut.

If you note the position of the screw before you loosen the lock nut, you will gain some confidence from the adjustment. If you overtighten it, your steering wheel will not have a "loose" feel when you rock it.
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

hi.
    u did check the idler arm and center link to make sure they aren't worn-out?
    also if u have excessive play in the steering, the worm gear is probably badly worn. u might as well start looking for another steering box now before the prices take to the next level.
    robert

Deluxe Guest
    I've checked all possible worn out parts- the problem is in the steering box. I would replace the gear but here in Scandinavia Riviera steering boxes do not grow in trees.....

Thanks everybody!

sergio Guest

loose steering

I am looking to upgrade the steering box in my '63 Riv because it leaks like a sieve. I found a company called CarSteering.com. They quoted $225 plus a core charge of $75. The box features a 2.75 quick ratio as opposed our stock box at 4.0 turns. Sergio