- 1964 Wiring Diagrams
- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams

Thread: power seat not working

power seat not working

as the least of my concerns, my power seat is not operating on my 65 convertible wildcat. What is the most likely offending component? solenoids, motor, relay?

The power windows also act up....some will only go down with 1 switch and up with another, while others work fine! Is this a simple matter of connections? (Do I have to take the door panels off to remove the switches or will a specialty tool do it?)

Thanks!

I have a '63 riviera (which according to the body manual, should be the same for your car)

there are two parts to power seats:

A transmission solenoid and motor

In my case the motor would operate, but the seat (4-way) wouldn't move in any direction.

The "transmission" had to be re-greased with graphite or lithium grease, and I had to make sure all cables were secured to the appropriate linkages.

Also, for power windows and seats, there is circuit breaker (in the kick panel for windows and within the window motor itself). I had to change the window motor in mine (riviera owners will know what a pain this is--removing the door skin, etc.)

Do you have a body manual? I have a '63 one for big models and could scan the approriate pictures.

Just ask...

Well, I did a little investigating today. It appears the power seats are on the same circuit as the power windows? I have power to the circuit, but no power to the plug coming up to the seats.....so now I have to verify that the seats will work with power ran to them, then trace down the disconnect.
    I have a cd manual....but I think I need one of those fancy color coded laminated sheets they sell on Ebay. That would make it much easier.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Treasurer, 1959 Buick Division of the BCA
    "A New Generation of Great Buicks!"

1959 Buick Invicta 4 dr ht (LUCILLE)
    1965 Buick Wildcat Custom Convertible (ROXANNE)
    1958 Buick Super 2 dr Riviera (SNOW WHITE)
    1969 Buick Electra 225 4 dr ht (THE DEUCE)
    1958 Chevy Apache 3100 Stepside(BABY)
    1922 Ford Model T Touring (LIZZIE)
    BCA #41596,DWD #0003,RDIV #918,AACA #350068

Well, I hooked up the motor today directly to the fuse box with a jumper and although the seat didn't want to move, I had to help it along...the motor was working.
    Looks like I'll need to dismantle everything and clean and lube the slides, then run a new power wire to the fusebox, since the existing one is not working.
    Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Treasurer, 1959 Buick Division of the BCA
    "A New Generation of Great Buicks!"

1959 Buick Invicta 4 dr ht (LUCILLE)
    1965 Buick Wildcat Custom Convertible (ROXANNE)
    1958 Buick Super 2 dr Riviera (SNOW WHITE)
    1969 Buick Electra 225 4 dr ht (THE DEUCE)
    1958 Chevy Apache 3100 Stepside(BABY)
    1922 Ford Model T Touring (LIZZIE)
    BCA #41596,DWD #0003,RDIV #918,AACA #350068

The solenoid (like a plunger) has to engage first, I have pictures of buckets/bench seats showing a four-way, two-way or six-way solenoid transmissions. I can show you both the motor and transmission electrical diagrams. Would you like to see a scanned picture from a body manual? (power seats never changed much through the years) A nice older gentleman from the ROA did the same for me, copying actual pages from his body manual, and totally helped me with my powerseats that never worked since i had the car--the motor worked, but the seats wouldn't move. Now they work perfectly. I always wanted to thank him for all his help. You will have to take the seat out (no biggie if it's a bucket). And any electrical place (alternator/generator rebuilding) can check the solenoid.

What type of seats do you have in your Wildcat? buckets? If you want I can email you a better, clearer copy. I really suspect it's in the power seat trans. solenoid or in the cables. I know the body manual helped me.

solenoid:

powerseat motor/trans solenoid:

Last edited by sicksteve; 09-09-2005 at 09:47 PM.

It's amazing how simple these things are whn you have a diagram of them. I can show you an electrical diagram next, if that you would help. You tell me.

With me, that solenoid was not operational, and after some lithium re-greasing, they worked fine. I'd recommend the shop for alternator rebuilding, but not for this solenoid work, done without an estimate.

steve

Although, PM me if you're still having problems with your solenoid. This shop knew what they were doing, but tried to charge me 2 hours w/o authorization for cleaning out a relatively clean solenoid. I complained, and that's how it this situation advanced. The shop owner was going to refuse to give me the solenoid or, in his words, "F**k it up!"

I've been a good customer in the store, buying DELCO 12si "OLD RELIABLE" alternators for all my older cars: '63 Riviera, '76 Riviera, '70 Toronado GT W-34, '76 Cadillac Superior hearse, along with products for newer cars.

Any ways, if your solenoid needs rebuilding, they can do it