- 1964 Wiring Diagrams
- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams

Thread: No speedo...

No speedo...

The speedo on my '68 GS was working fine, but for some reason just stopped working one day. The car's been stored since '92 (I just got it a couple months ago). Do you think it's from sitting or is there a problem with the cable that runs to the transmission?

The first thing to check is the cable. I have seen some that are a little short or not pushed into the speedo properly. If that turns out to be the case, you may be able to place a small flat washer behind the flange that is supposed to hold the cable up into the speedo.
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Thanks, I'll be sure to check that when I get it back from the mechanics (transmisson problems).

speedo issue

My speedo does something different. It sits at about 40MPH standing still and as soon as the car begins to move it goes all the way to the right. It appears to be a new cable. (but a new style, not OEM). Could the cable be wrong or is it adjusted improperly?
    Thanks!

As it turns out, after the speedo was sent out to be rebuilt, the back where the cable was got all chewed up somehow. Anyone know where I can find replacement parts? Original Parts Group, Yearone, and Classicbuicks.com wern't much help.

i'm not clear on who chewed it up. if it was the repair shop, demand that they make it good.

No, the end of the cable that goes into the speedo was rounded off and a nylon gear (?) in it was shot. Found the parts though.

I'm sorry if I asked this question before, but where can I get a new speedo cable for a '63 Riviera?

Do you have a NAPA in your general area? If so give them a call and ask if they can get you the cable. That's how I found the one for my car.