- 1964 Wiring Diagrams
- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams

Thread: wiring help

wiring help

I have a 1961 buick invicta and I am trying to convert the factory gernator system to one that takes an alternator. I need to know the wiring diagram on such a project. The colors I am working with are: Large gauge white, smaller gauge pink and yellow. the car still has the factory "dummy"light and voltage regulator. the new alternator is an 150amp New Generation brand and I am using only S AND L terminals ,what do I need to do to get this thng installed properly?!?!?!?!?!?!?

to add some info to my previous post, I made the brackets for this about 2 months ago and my buddy wired it up. everything was working fine until a week ago I started having small electrical problems. first the dash turn signal indicator lights stopped working, then the valves for my airride were acting up, radio problems etc. I thought i had a short in my wiring somewhere. later the car was hard to start and once it did it died after a couple minutes. now i realized I had just been running off what juice the battery had left, and the alternater was dead. I fully charged both my batteries (one in trunk for airride and radio, on an isolater) and installed another brand new alternator. I decided to hook up a volt gauge and the needle wouldnt move. I tested the voltage and came to find out the new alternator isnt charging either. So, did I kill my voltage regulator with the first 150amp, and in turn kill the alternator. And then assuming the alternator just went bad and installing a new one with a possably already bad stock voltage regulator kill the new alternator also??? I am stumped. someone please tell me what is going on!!!

Wes Vann's tech in the buicks.net shop might help

http://www.buicks.net/techref/ftecref14.html
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

i had a similiar situation not too long ago. it turned out to be a poor ground.

well I believe I have everything working correctly now. The problem was with the voltage regulator. I bypassed the voltage regulator. Eliminated all factory generator wiring and rewired the small wire from the alternator (L terminal) directly to the generator dummy light and now everthing is working like it should, So Far! Dont know why I didnt try it sooner, but now I know for next time. Thanks for the responces. T.R.