- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams

Thread: ignition module went bad again

abe Guest

ignition module went bad again

I just got done grinding the valves in my '91 park avenue, and was running great. But then the wife went shopping and on the way home the car quit running on the interstate, and had to get towed home. Bottom line: the ignition module went out again. Make that the 4th one that's gone bad on the car since new. And, the middle coil pack checked out bad too, so I had to buy it too. Make that the third one that's gone bad since new. Has anybody else had issues with the ignition modules/coil packs?
    abe

RichardH Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by abe
    I just got done grinding the valves in my '91 park avenue, and was running great. But then the wife went shopping and on the way home the car quit running on the interstate, and had to get towed home. Bottom line: the ignition module went out again. Make that the 4th one that's gone bad on the car since new. And, the middle coil pack checked out bad too, so I had to buy it too. Make that the third one that's gone bad since new. Has anybody else had issues with the ignition modules/coil packs?
    abe
    I'm on the 4th ignition module, since the vehicle was new, on my 1988 Buick Regal. No coil packs have been changed.

Curiously, I also own a Ford Bronco II, which had a noted ignition module problem. Ford was offering free replacement if these failed, but mine never has.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    I'm on the 4th ignition module, since the vehicle was new, on my 1988 Buick Regal. No coil packs have been changed.

Curiously, I also own a Ford Bronco II, which had a noted ignition module problem. Ford was offering free replacement if these failed, but mine never has.
    I replaced my original ignition module last year, had to replace new one 8 months later.

Many times the coil packs intermittently go bad causing a voltage spike that destroys the module. Although it's not cheap I replace ALL the coil packs & module at the same time. Very seldom have a comeback.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Also make sure you use enough dielectric grease where applicable. Not enough / lack of this will cause overheating and failure.
    James Collier

Check out my music at www.myspace.com/allergic2air

Also on FaceBook...

Quote Originally Posted by mrFJLilly View Post
    I replaced my original ignition module last year, had to replace new one 8 months later.
    Why do you need to replace the module in eight months? I have mine and the mechanic told me the next replacement will be after 10-12 months. That is one year after the original replacement.
    Last edited by clarkandrew45; 03-04-2011 at 08:14 PM.

I changed it only because the module went bad, its running great now.
    I think the replacement one was of bad quality. I pulled the oringinal out when it went in 2010, not bad for a 1988 2.8L. (22years) I only have 107k miles.

Make sure you put plenty of electrical grease on it. Mine sits very low on the front of the car, right were all the road crap and car wash jets hits it, right by the starter.

Not to mention all the wonderful exhaust manifold heat... Great design, really....
    James Collier

Check out my music at www.myspace.com/allergic2air

Also on FaceBook...