263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: Harley Earl For Sale ??

Bernard Guest

Unhappy Harley Earl For Sale ??

Sadly, I am having to consider selling Harley Earl, my 1949 Super. It's my daily driver, my rolling business billboard (magnetic signs only), and it drinks the expected amount of gas. With crude now at $75/barrell, local prices at $3.00+ for regular and certain to go higher, I'm afraid I can't afford to continue driving it every day, and I don't have room in my driveway or my budget to keep it as a hobby.

I won't bother to describe the car's condition here, other than to say it's excellent mechanically with only a few easily-remedied gitches which don't affect reliability, and the bodywork and interior are very good. Remember, this is the car which drove on its own from Washington State to Pensacola, FL, with only a loose wire and a failed electric fuel pump causing problems, and I've made a lot of improvements since (new water pump, radiator cleaned out, new mechanical fuel pump, new rear transmission mount, torque ball rebuilt (doesn't leak!!), tuneup, front end alignment, etc.

If any site user is interested directly or has a friend who can be enticed into becoming one of us, please let me know.

The decision to sell has not been made yet, but I'm reluctantly open to inquiries.

Sell?

Bernard, sounds as though we lose a member and you lose a friend. Hope you can weather the gas prices and stand by your friend. I think your Buick has a good home where it is. I also feel as though we have an obligation to these old friends to be good custodians for the next generation of owners. May seem silly but I talk to my ride on a regular basis. She takes care of me and I take care of her, we have an understanding. Regrets are easy to avoid on this end of the deal, think it over and good luck. The family will miss you and you will miss your ride. If you and your car has the same relationship I have, you understand, if not, sell it to someone that does understand. ~T~

Bernard Guest

I understand . . .

. . . that's why I'm only giving notice in here for the time being. I don't want to sell it, and may not, but if I get a reasonable offer, I probably will.

Word of advise, don't sell. Gas prices are just onother cost of doing business. Food keeps going up but I'll keep the wife rather than look for a model that eats less.
    Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS

Bernard!

I don't like the sound of this...
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Bernard Guest

Jim. . .

. . . if she sees that, you're toast no matter how you explain it. . . .

Unhappy Harley Earle

Hey Bernard

Personally I would leave things alone and suck it up!

You can't put a monetary value on relationships, memories, dreams or regrets

Mastercard calls it "Priceless"

In the Sports world they say the best trades are the ones they never make.

Keep the Faith

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

Bernard Guest

I appreciate the encouraging words, fellas. . .

. . . but y'all are speaking from your own circumstances, not from mine. Harley Earl is on the block. Help me place him with someone who'll continue to improve him.