- Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: wanting input on 455 street build

Jeffro Guest

Lightbulb wanting input on 455 street build

I am getting ready to start building my 455 for a 64 Riviera,yea I know,should be a nailhead,but its getting a 455.I am looking to build a drivable car with good low end torque.Should I have the block bored or only if it has to be.I am not looking for all out race potential,but a good jump from stock.I may put this car on the bottle(just in case I run in to any stubborn Fords).I will be starting out with a 75 block,trying to score some early heads,wanting to run in the 10 to 1 comp ratio.Hoping that a set of shorty heders will fit(any one know if they will?)I know the parts will not be cheap,but keep in mind I am not a rich man.I don't plan on racing the car,but if the need arizes Well you know how that goes.Any good advice on proven parts combinations would be helpful If any one maybe has some parts that would be nice also Thanks in advance for you're input,Jeff

From my younger days and my experience of running a 396 BB in a 4x4 (6500 lbs) making 14.88 at 95 and getting almost 18 mpg when babied back in the "stayin' alive at 55" days here's my suggestions.

Look at a cam hydraulic cam of about 230 at .050 with .500 lift, ad a set of Rohdes lifters. Put in lots of cold air. They now make dual snorkle air filters. Do a little head clean up and a good exhaust system, 2.5" mandrel bent. Use a 2500 stall converter. You'll also want a good ingnition system that is well set up.

The reference I used to build the motor was primarily a bunch of tips picked up from a book called "Performance with Economy". The title was enough to turn off any performance guy, but to this day I believe it is the best book I have for building any engine.
    Last edited by rcull; 07-22-2005 at 07:58 PM.
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Jeffro Guest

14's in 4x4

Thanks for the input.14's in a 4x4 is not to bad,and 18 a gallon even better.

Woops, did I say 18

Actually that truck was about was between 12.5 to 13 being very nice to it...
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

If grandma was very elderly and not expected to live too many more years, and she needed the engine rebuilt so she could still get to church and pick up groceries, you could get by without boring the block IF it had no more than .007 taper to the worst cylinder.

Building an engine that's worn out before you ever start it up is foolish economy.

Jeffro Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Schurkey
    If grandma was very elderly and not expected to live too many more years, and she needed the engine rebuilt so she could still get to church and pick up groceries, you could get by without boring the block IF it had no more than .007 taper to the worst cylinder.

Building an engine that's worn out before you ever start it up is foolish economy.
    I have already made the decision to go .30 over with forged pistons,can'nt decide which ones thou,weise would be great,but expensive,scored a set of 67 430 heads the other day when I went to a locale yard to pick up my short shaft T/400.Right now my main concerns are cam choice,and intake(single plane or dual).I have read that if I plan to run nitrous I should be concerned about good exhaust duration and lift also.Getting all that fuel in is great,getting the used stuff out mandtory.I think at this point the best thing to do is call TA Performance and see if they can steer me in the right direction for camshaft choice.As far as intake goes it seams that the argument on that one is still going on.