Thread: Hydraulic brake light switch ?

Question Hydraulic brake light switch ?

So the '52 has the old brake light switch that is located by the master cylinder and triggered by hydraulic pressure. My problem is that it takes more pressure to trigger my brake lights than it does to stop the car, so to anyone following me it looks like I have no brake lights unless I need to brake realy hard. My fluid level is good and hasn't needed topping off in the year+ that Ive owned it and the car stops great. Obviously the first thing to try would be replacing the switch, I'm just wondering if anyone else has come across this problem and what they did.
    scott

Brake Light Switch

A consideration would be to install a completely electric switch that could operate off of brake pedal travel (like the early Camaro) Mounts under the dash on near the brake pedal and is positioned so that it is depressed when the pedal is up and not depressed when the pedal is extended for brake activation. When the pedal comes off of the switch the lights are then activated
    Last edited by Robert Bates; 07-10-2005 at 12:55 PM. Reason: bad spelling on my part

Thanks Robert, I know exactly what you're talking about. I have a 63 Nova and my fiance has a 64 corvair which both use that switch. I'll take a look to see if I can find a place to mount one. I'm still wondering if anyone has had to deal with the hydraulic switch before.
    scott

lasabre1959 Guest

OEM style brake switch

We had the same problem with our 59 La Sabre. Auto Zone sells the replacement hydraulic brake switch for less than $5.

Before replacing it, we also tried using a mechanical switch from a Chevy. It worked OK, but the original is better.

Also check your brake system for pinhole leaks. We had one and that probably reduced hydraulic pressure to the brakes.

FYI - the brake light circuit has a fuse under the dash. Ours was labeled "Turn Signals"

Good Luck

I had the same problem and found out there are low and high pressure switches. I bought a low pressure switch and now the lights work as soon as I touch the pedal.

Thanks to all. I looked today and decided the chevy style would be too much work anyway. The chevy switch contacts the brake pedal arm above the foot pad while the buick arm exits the firewall below the foot pad. I'll try to locate a new switch locally before ordering one. I just hate going to the parts counter and telling them it's for a 1952 car. They act like looking in the book is too much work. Sometimes they act like if it's not in the computer than they can't help you, just plain lazy. Thanks again.
    scott

Just a quick update... I got the new switch from Napa auto parts for $9. It took about 5 minutes to replace and now my brake lights fire up with the proper amount of pressure. I wish everything was so simple to fix!
    scott

Thumbs up Glad Your Back

Hey Chub Chub!

Glad to see that Your Back in the Fold

Where Have YOU been

WE ALL MISSED YA"!

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

Hey Tom,
    I've been at baseball games, making wedding plans and out on the street (since I have no garage or driveway) working on the Buick. I get on the ol' comp-u-tator when I can. Hope your doing well.
    Scott
    scott