Thread: edelbrock carbs,too universal?

Angry

so,
    after two rebuilds,i boxed up the factory quadrajet and replaced it with the 1910 850 cfm ele.choke spreadbore.great carb mid throttle,but problems on startup/cold idle.if its below 70 degrees the choke will not catch.i've tried turning the choke(lean/rich)not any better.is there a way to lean out this carb on the idle/startup circut or is it too universal and this is what i get.i know its a big carb, but its the only aftermarket bolt on i knew of.is there a better speadbore carb out there? thanks [img]graemlins/shield.gif[/img]
    73 electra

no offence, but why are you using an 850cfm carb on your electra? that is ridicoulasly big, even for a stock 455. try moving down to something between 500-650 cfm, you'll probably get much better performance.

hey thanks for the reply and no offence taken. yeah i know it's a big carb but it's the only direct bolt on spreadbore i was told of from two different sources in the seattle area.the factory carb is 750cfm,let me know of another carb i can use,anybody?
    73 electra
    73 electra

I am not familar with the 1910. If it is like the AFB preformers Edelbrock makes a metering kit for around 50.00. It has several metering rods and springs as well as a few jets. Its pretty easy to change out the springs and rods (controls air /fule at idle or low rpms) with the carb still in place. Some years ago I went through this with Elderbrock 650 that I put on my 401. Its run ok but the factory air cleaner would not fit and the linkage was never 100%. I went back to the orignal Carter carb.
    Best of luck
    Scotty