Thread: Disc Brakes

Model41man Guest

I'd like to put disc brakes on my '49 model 41 but I don't want to "Hack" it all up. I was hoping to do a spindle swap or a bolt up somethun' er other. Any sugestions from the "experienced ones" out there? [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img] Also I would like to still use the original 16" rims

Try Scarebird Mechanical they are out of Washington state. I know someone here will have their web site address. Just punch it up I am sure it`s there. Usually you send them your spindle and sterring arm and hub---send pics of the front end so he has points of reference. They just make the brackets for the calipier but he tells you what parts to get to complete the change-over. Good Luck [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

there are several ways to skin this cat:
    scarebird.com out of seattle might have an application for you.

with my apologies for boring everyone who has read this from me in the past, take a look at classic performance products tech article for the 47-54 chevrolet pickup. it is a kingpin design frontend and the caliper mounting plate should be a direct bolt on for your car.

webrodder.com has an ongoing buildup of an early 50's buick. their latest article dealt with mounting a master cylinder to the car. pretty interesting stuff.

Model41man Guest

Heidigirl
    I checked out the kit [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] but will the hubs interchange too? Also the bolt pattern is 4 3/4, would I still be able to retain my 16" rims?

on a disc brake system, the caliper mounting bracket serves the same purpose as the backing plate on a drum system. if you can fit the bracket, everything else can be solved. will the hubs interchange? you will more than likely have to use a different rotor than what comes in the pickup kit, but no big deal. this is what i did:

used ONLY the caliper bracket mounting kit from CPP, instead of the full on brake kit. my calipers came from a late 70s junkyard chevy sedan which i reconditioned. don't use camaro calipers as they are too small for the bracket. i bought new rotors and drilled them to 5" bcd, but i think you can buy them with 5" bcd. bought a new master cylinder/vacuum booster which i mounted remotely because there wasn't enough space and i didn't want to mess up the underhood appearance.

there is an aluminum spacer in the kit that will have to be bored out, if your spindles are greater than .750 inches. any machine shop can do this for you.

your 16" rims are a big plus because they offer .500 extra clearance versus 15" rims. you shouldn't have to grind clearances for any of your linkage pieces.

finally, you can buy everything from CPP but, because of their high markups, buy what you can locally.

Model41man Guest

what kind of rotors did you use, what about the bearings? and uh what is 5" bcd ???

i got the rotors from pepboys for less than 30.00 each. camaro if i remember correctly.
    the needle bearings were part of the caliper kit from classic performance. they are standard fare and a direct replacement for the ball bearings on your car now.
    5" bcd equals five inch bolt circle diameter. before you buy the rotors, confirm the bolt circle you need. i don't know it, so will leave for other contributors to advise.

happy to help out, as you work through your project.

Model41man Guest

I apprieciate the advice I'll keep you posted [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]