Thread: 1955 Buick Special 4 door hardtop

Cool

I just today 2/22/05 purchased a fixer upper of a Buick. The car is as listed in the subject line. It appears to be all original paint etc. I am wondering th ebest place to get parts and accessories for this car, I have been otu of the supply market for awhile, been riding Harleys instead of in cars, and am liking being inside while I cruise now.

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] Hey, Robert:

I see that You are a New Member. Welcome Aboard! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

How are things on The Island? Pretty Quiet during the Winter season, I bet.

Where to get Parts? That seems to be the Most Frequently Asked Question.

It depends on what part your are looking for.

There are quite a few places. You can shop around and get prices for parts and then the money you save you spend in shipping costs.

A lot of mechanical partscan be obtained locally believe it or not. From NAPA, Advanced, Autozone or even your local independant parts dealer.

The trick is to get a part number.

You can go online on the napa, parts america, advanced or autozone and research the part number. once you have the part number anyone can obtain the part for you. The trick is to make the job the easiest for the counter man. The guy is busy and he doesn't really want to spend a whole lot of time looking up a 20 dollar part. He may do it once, but you don't want him to think of you as a neuisence and get the here he comes again look and/or the brushoff. If You are able to get the part number it makes EVERYTHING a Lot easier and then You develop a relationship with the counterman when You need him for the really hard to find part. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Brake parts, Fel-Pro gaskets Waterpumps etc. can all be obtained from your local parts dealer.

There are some parts that are stocked by Specialty Houses.

I have used with Great Success

Buick World 360-825-3788 Enumclaw WA
    rivierajim@excite.com
    Bob's Automobilia www.bobsautomobilia.com
    805-434-2963
    order a part from Bob and he includes a nifty Catalog Atascadero, CA.

Carson's Antique Auto Parts, Holliston MA.
    w1066@gis.net 508-429-2269

Antique Auto Parts Cellar, Weymouth, MA
    781-335-1579 www.then-now.com

The Merchandise is quality stuff, the real deal. NOS No Bargains here put the prices are fair and competive. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

If there is a particular part You need, I would be more than happy to advise/consult of your needs and wants. If I don't know at least I will be able to steer you in the right direction.

I do have a Buick Parts Locating Guide, readily on hand at my disposal for research/resource material, among others.

Your '55 is comperable to My '56 so I have pretty much a good idea in regard to where to get stuff.

E-bay is also a good source for some parts, but you have to know your prices.

I will be glad to assist a fellow New Englander in any way I can.

After all on the Island of Nantucket, you probably have the only mid-fifty's Buick on the Island.

Where did You pick up the car?

Is it operable and roadwothy?

Paint is one thing. Body Rot is another and the salt air that surrounds you won't help matters.

Fill Us in on the details.

Good Luck with Your new Project.

Keep US informed of Your Progress!

If You need ANY Help! Don't be bashfull, You know where to find US.

WE are Here to HELP! Each Other.

Welcome and don't be a Stranger [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

Cool

I got the car from someone who bought it for their daughter in high school, and she had difficulty driving it due to no power steering and the 3 speed on the column.

Car runs strong, has a brake fluid leak in the left rear, and needs some body work, but I got it for cheap money so that is ok.

I am actually building a garage so that I can put this car in the place it deserves. The work will take time, especially as I will have to take the car off island for a good body shop, but will be well worth it when done.

The interior needs ot be redone, but what 50 year old has a good interior?

Will be a labor of love that I am taking my time on, and will be in here often for advice and support.

Bob [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] Hey Bob,

What parts of Your car need Body Work?

I know where you can get original body patch panels from Gary Bauer "The Rocker King"
    sonoma@execpc.com 414-549-9583

Interiors can be obtained in Kit form from Hampton Coach www.hamptoncoach.com 888-388-8726

What color is the Exterior and Interior?

Are the Floors in decent shape?

My interior surprisingly is in decent servicable condition. Everything works on the dash all the gages and the clock.

The car sat idle from 1970 until 2003. A lot of things are frozen rust on, like the brake drums, but I found a puller from Eastwood. I'm waiting until it gets warmer before I start heating them with a Propane Torch [img]graemlins/smash.gif[/img]

The Entire Fuel system was clogged from the old gas everything was lacquered up. the fuel line was completely clogged and the tank had 3 gallons of coffee colored lacquer in it. The stuff even corroded the brass float on the sending unit which was completely clogged. I had to refurbish the tank and rebuild the fuel pump. The only thing that isn't clogged or frozen is my wallet (LOL)

I got a set of 5 new 3" wide whites from Diamondback Tires which are supurb. I had the steel wheels sandblasted and powder coated. I do have intentions on getting some Kelsey-Hayes 40 Spoke Buick wire wheels as the crowning touch. My '56 is red/white and the interior is red/black.

The 322 nailhead turned right over and has 38,084 documented miles on it. I need some rocker panels and I have to rebuild the starter before I put on the new exhaust system, factory duals. I have spent all the money on stuff you can't see. All that stuff adds up fast.

The wheel cylinders and brake stuff you can get from your local auto parts, Napa, Advanced or AutoZone. New Stainless Factory formed brake lines you can get from Inline tube in about 3 or 4 days [URL=http://www.inline]www.inlinetube.com for about 170 bucks and its worth every penny. Perfect fit [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] . There are a few cork-screw bends that would be quite difficult to reproduce by hand. Chech out the one under the drivers door right before it goes through the frame, IT looks like a bee-hive.
    I figured that I would do it once and do it right!
    I'll never have to worry about that again, I still have some finishing work and tie up some loose ends in the rear. [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

Keep me posted on your progress and I will be more than happy to help you along the way.

Regards, [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Tom Gallagher

The color is white and gray

My fuel gauge works all of a sudden (full to empty in abtou 20 minutes)

Speedometer doesnt work (previous owner said it was makign noise then stopped soporbably the cable)

Interior fabrics need to be completely redone, but I will check with Hampton Coach as you suggested

I have access to many auppliers as my father owns a repair shop plus he wants to help with the restoration

Bob,

Its the Senser, Float in the sending unit.

an Easy correcting, but You have to drop the tank, which by the way is a very unpleasent and time conduming Procedure and You may run into complications.

Tom Gallagher

Robert
    The gas gauge on my 56 was acting odd ( empty to full and back ) and it was the nuts on the back of the gauge were loose.
    Judd

Originally posted by Robert Bates:
    I just today 2/22/05 purchased a fixer upper of a Buick. The car is as listed in the subject line. It appears to be all original paint etc. I am wondering th ebest place to get parts and accessories for this car, I have been otu of the supply market for awhile, been riding Harleys instead of in cars, and am liking being inside while I cruise now.
    Welcome to the board Robert! Well, what I did, was once I got my car, I started hitting ebay, here, and about 4 other exclusive Buick Sites, and started posting ads and messages with things that I wanted. I wound up with a fully loaded 64 Wildcat Convertible.

Jim.
    When standing knee deep in water with alligators nipping at your backside, it's difficult to remind yourself that your initial project was to drain the swamp.

BCA #40621
    64 Wildcat Ragtop - 64 LeSabre 4-Door Sedan

Thanks for the welcome

now I am working on garage for storage of this great car

Hey Robert,

What kind (type) of garage are you working on.

By the way. Just last week I heard about the Daffodil Festival that they have on ther on the Island. I guess it is quite a feather in you cap to be asked to take part in.

Regards,

Tom Gallagher