- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 215,300, 340
- Buick 300/340 Casting Numbers
- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech

Thread: do i really need holley fuel pump

I have been debating this on my own for a while and can't really decide. I have a 1967 Buick Skylark with a 340. I have put postons headers on the car as well as an edelbrock 600cfm carb. Eventually I will be getting a new cam, pistons, tranny, rear end, etc... So I probably will need a performance electric fuel pump eventually. I was wondering if it would be practical to put on now though. Would I notice any performance gains over the stock fuel pump in my car? The car was originally a 2bbl, I don't know if the 4bbl version had a higher flow fuel pump or not? Basically though, with the new carb and headers is it feasible that my car wants more fuel and isnt getting it? I'm trying to find the missing link in my quest for power. The car just isnt as fast as I was hoping for. I know I still have a long way to go but I figured I should still be getting plenty of get up and go the way it is. I will be getting the car dyno-ed soon so I can make sure its making roughly the power I figured it should.
    1967 Buick Skylark 4dr hardtop with a 430

Your car should be a strong car, the 340 Skylark is a respectable package.

All the mods you are planning are good, but your stock fuel pump should be more than adequate for now, and depending on your future choices, maybe adequate after they are done. Check your pump pressure. Without looking at specs, it should be putting out 5-7 lbs. While your car is running rev it accelerate it hard and check for significant pressure drop. If it drops below 3-4 lbs, consider replacing it.

Have you checked your distributor? If not you should have it checked out and ad a performance curve. This topic is covered in the "Buicks.net" shop.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Jorg Guest

Question

340-4 tuning????

Hi guys,

I'm Jorg i live in the Netherlands (Amsterdam)
    I'm the proud owner of a skylark '66 four door hard top 340-4, dual exhaust, ST-300, P/S, P/B, A/C compressor is gone. (doesn't bother me)
    a very rare find over here.
    I'm planning to rebuild my engine in the upcoming winter. How can i increase my HP? The car has now 260 and i prefer to go over 300.
    What do i need for this job? Is it possible?
    Please let me know.

Thanks, Jorg

Thanks very much for the reply... I never thought that my lack of power could be due to the distributor, thanks.

Actually loss of power could be a variety of things. I only suggest the distributor because it sounded like you may have overlooked it. You should also do a compression test to see if the engine is up to producing power.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Nope compression was one of the first things I thought of. Tested that and all cylinders perfect.
    1967 Buick Skylark 4dr hardtop with a 430

There is an article to help with the distributor in the Buicks.net shop.

Yep I read it, and will be trying it out today, thanks so much for all of this help.