- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech

Thread: headers ??

skylark65 Guest

Where can I get a set of headers for a 1965
    Skylark w/ 300 cid 355 Wildcat ?

Thumbs up

Postons sell a set,but they cost over 300 bux. I ported my 300 heads last winter and ported out the exaust manifolds as well. I got a good two pounds of metal from them and they work great.

Try... TA Performance 480-922-6807
    www.TAPERFORMANCE.com
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

I got the set from poston on my 340. (Port size and bolt pattern is shared between the 300 and 340) most people know this, but just incase you didnt. Infact, many parts are interchangeable. Anyway although they are great headers, the ones from poston barely fit in the engine compartment. It is soooo tight. I've never seen headers this tight, and I actually had to take the car to a professional exhaust place to get them on after I tried for days and weeks to no avail. The people at the exhaust place thought it was impossible as well, and after tons of banging, bending, cutting, and welding, my headers fit. It took them 13 hours of work and 1025 of my canadian dollars.

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] Hey Jarred

Thanks for Posting this Valuable Information for the Rest of Us to Share. Needless to say besides the initial cost of the header, which I'm sure was Considerable, The labor cost You incurred is Offensive. I'm Sorry that You have to be the poster boy. Hopefully other Fellow Members will profit by Your Horendous Experience.
    Jarred, Let Us know. Is this type of application permissible if the Headers were installed while the motor is out of the car, and then the entire unit dropped in? Or is it an Impossible Situation/Horror Show from Top to Bottom?
    Thanks for Clueing Us In. Does Poston Enterprises have a Tech Line? Where They able to give You any assistance concerning the Installation?
    Hopefully others will take advantage of Your prior Warning. [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/smash.gif[/img] :mad: [img]graemlins/angry.gif[/img]

Tom Gallagher [img]graemlins/shield.gif[/img]
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

junkcollector82 Guest

Originally posted by Jared:
    I got the set from poston on my 340. (Port size and bolt pattern is shared between the 300 and 340) most people know this, but just incase you didnt. Infact, many parts are interchangeable. Anyway although they are great headers, the ones from poston barely fit in the engine compartment. It is soooo tight. I've never seen headers this tight, and I actually had to take the car to a professional exhaust place to get them on after I tried for days and weeks to no avail. The people at the exhaust place thought it was impossible as well, and after tons of banging, bending, cutting, and welding, my headers fit. It took them 13 hours of work and 1025 of my canadian dollars.

junkcollector82 Guest

I have a 355 Wilcat too, although I've never seen literature saying the engine ever had 355 ft lbs...only 335. I think mine is a 64, it has aluminum heads. Are the bolt pattern and exhaust ports the same for the aluminum heads when compared with the 340?

Nathan

malc Guest

Junkcollector,
    no, the headers for an iron head engine are different to yours with your aluminium heads. You need a set for a 215 engine, or a range rover, or a TR7 v8 (I'm sure you get the picture).
    Best of luck,
    Malc [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Holy mackerel!

I already moved Poston to my "I will never ever do business with this vendor" list, and this seems like another reason!

I've had custom headers built and coated with JetHot for less than that ($US equiv)...

-Bob Cunningham

bluewhale13 Guest

One option is to take your factory manifolds and mill/grind them out. I have not used the headers by Poston, but I have heard nothing but bad reviews and trouble from the people who have tried to install them. Fortunately the 300, 340 manifolds have a fairly short runner and a lot of meat that you can remove. I would begin by gasket matching the manifold openings and carefully opening up the ports on the head side where they meet. Just be careful due to the fact that these manifolds like to crack between the no 3and5 and the no 4and6 runners. Check the thickness at the collector area and you'll be surprised at just how much metal there is that you can remove from that area. However, don't grind away on the outer flange as it will lead to sealing problems. Once done you can send them out and have them coated inside and out and it will help to reduce underhood temps. The other route is to have a set of headers custom built for the car. Most sets I've had to have built have run me in the neighborhood of $600.00. [img]graemlins/shield.gif[/img]