- Buick 455 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
    - Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: Problems with my 430

sled51merc Guest

Hi, I'm new here and just posted a little intro in the idle chat section. I went to change my water pump out on my '68 Riv and found that whoever changed it out last didn't use anti seize on the bolts so they were real tough to get out. It looks like they busted a couple off inside of the timing cover also, then tried to get them out and totally ruined the holes. It's a wonder the water pump stayed sealed but it did. Anyways, the holes that are still good are very sloppy and I'd rather fix this thing the right way. I was thinking of taking the timing cover off and having a friend weld the holes shut again and then drill and retap them. Or I was wondering how hard it would be to find a timing cover for a 430, or if a 455 timing cover would be the same.
    One more thing, when seeing how the water pump would line up, 1 hole didn't line up at all and another was way off also, is this a common problem with this motor. I appreciate any help anyone can give me on this, thanks in advance!

sled

the 400 / 430 / 455 all use the same timing cover.

TA offers new ones. http://www.taperformance.com/pumpkits.htm

you can find one in a junk yard with a little effort. water pumps as well but you need to be careful of these as when they sit for years electrolysis tends to eat the aluminum pretty bad. pull it and inspect it before you buy it if you get it used.

a good parts store will stock or be able to order the water pump as well.

there are long nose and short nose water pumps, the difference is whether or not your car came with air conditioning. take your old pump with you and compare it to the new one.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

sergio Guest

Just keep in mind that these covers are aluminum. It takes some very special skills to weld in alumuninum. If you live in a big city, I recommend that you find a qualified welder/machine shop. It may actually be cheaper for you to buy a "new" cover from TA Performance.

sled51merc Guest

Thanks for the help guys! I really don't have the cash to buy a new one right now. My dad has a 455 that's been sitting in a shed covered up so I might take a look at that timing cover, I would hate to start parting out a good engine though. As far welding the old one goes, I have a buddy who is a killer welder so I might give that a shot, or maybe try to helicoil it. Thanks for the help!

sled

I had the same problem. I filled the holes with weld (aluminum) ground off the excess, and drilled and tapped new holes. Piece o' cake, and I'm no welder. Used ones on ebay are going for $125 and up.