- Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: Newbie-- 430 general question

Dave Haggard Guest

Question

Everything I read about big blocks seems to say 454/455 is the way to go. Almost like it's the ONLY engine.
    But I just found a '69 Riviera in the weeds behind a neighbor's house, that still has the 430 in it.
    If the neighbor will let it go, I'm considering building up the 430, and putting it in my '88 WS6 Formula Firebird, with TBI injection.
    Yeah, I know. This may be sacrelege to true Buick owners. Sorry.
    What I need to know is, is the 430 worth it? Or do I not hear about them much just because they were only built for 3 years?
    Anyway, any basic info on the 430 would be greatly appreciated.

Dave,

The 430 is a fine engine, and shares many parts with the 455. We are not too picky, and like Buick powered anything!
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

The only unfortunate thing I have found about the 430 is that forged pistons are not readily available for them. One good thing is they all have good heads.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

shifty_jim100 Guest

Re: Bob, they all have good heads.

Can you give me some more info on this Bob?
    Is there anything I could do when I send these heads in from my '67 Rivvy (which has a 430) to spruce them up???

I can only suggest the things that improve all heads, like making sure they are up to specs, a good 3 angle valve grind and port matching. I will be building a big block Buick this winter, and what I decide to do will be on the site. As it will not be a "sponsered" motor, I will be trying to get the most and spend the least. This will make the project interesting to the typical builder. This means, it may not all be the best, or maybe not even right by some peoples standards.

If you go to the buicks.net shop the good flowing heads are marked in the casting number section. They also have smaller chambers giving higher compression.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!