-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: Pertronix ignitor

erbetty Guest

I see in tune-up diagnostics that someone is using the pertronix (12 volts?) to replace the points in a '52 Buick.

I have a 6 volt system ( 1941 ) Special Mod 46SE
    so does anyone know if the Pertronix has a 6 volt option or will 12 volt work?

Anyother information would be a big help. "Betty" hasn't run in over a year and I'm getting money to get her fixed.

Thank you.

I was just thinking the same thing. I have a 53 40 series, 263 6-volt. I am looking at getting rid of the point and put a Pertronix ignitor. I was on their website but they didn't have a specified product for my application. Didn't know if I could use a different product setup.

Fryguy

pertronix might have something that is not in their catalog. it couldn't hurt to contact them.

junk-collector Guest

the company i bought my 12 volt ignitor from also stocks the 6 volt one 99$ the are in new jersey name is cars inc , they have over a million buick parts , i swapped to an alternator so went 12 volt ,i will post a phone number later as their web site seems to be down ,

junk-collector Guest

cars inc . phone number is 1-908-369-3666 i have bought a few things from them they carry new an used buick parts , an carry 6 and 12 volt buick str8 8 ingnitor kits hope this helps ,

Thanks Junk-C !!!! Now I don't know wether to upgrade to 12 volts or not. The 6 volt system s working great but maybe I should upgrade to 12???

Fryguy

junk-collector Guest

i bought a Gm 1 wire alternator an a chrome after market mount did a little welding an converted to 12volts

pertronix

try egge.com they have these units for 6 and 12 volt applications JB
    jb

Pertronix

I have a '52 Super with the 263. I have successfully installed the Pertronix ignitor 6 volt version. I got it from Cars also - but it's a standard off the shelf kit from Pertronix. Pertronix just doesn't list it as a covered application - I called and they told me they like to verify the fit firsthand and this distributor just hasn't come through their shop yet.

The only modification I had to make was to the rotor. In the Pertronix kit there is a ring with 8 magnets around it to trigger the magnetic pickup. This ring is supposed to fit around the rotor shaft. The diameter of the base on the rotor I had was too large to fit, so I had to file it down a bit. Not a big deal.

With the kit installed, I didn't notice a huge performance gain - but it does seem to run much more consistently. I feel like I've eliminated the points as a source of future problem.

Good luck.