263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Discharge Fault

Bernard Guest

Harley Earle's new 800+ amp/hour battery is discharging from full charge in about 4 hours, falling enough to only grunt the started. I just replaced the voltage regulator and have confirmed that the generator is charging slightly even at idle.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing and know a "most likely" location of a short?

You can always do the time honored trick of pulling the fuses ,and putting them back one at a time. When you find the short, you will probably get some sparks when you insert the fuse. This will at least point out the circuit to start on.
    Joe T
    37Buick coupe /455 powered
    40 Super convert
    72 GS455 convert 13.0/105
    69 Buick Sportwagon
    92 Road,aster wagon
    04 Rendezvous

bernard,
    here is a cut and paste answer to your question.
    with the exception of the test light, its pretty much what oldguy has already stated.
    Remove negative battery cable from the battery. Using a 12-volt test light, hook one end to the negative battery post the other end to the negative battery cable you just disconnected. The test light will glow or “light” if there is a drain. If the “light or glow” is faint, that is probably normal draw for the clock or computer. If the “light or glow” is bright, then there is a large drain. That should be corrected. Now start removing and replacing the fuses one by one until the light goes out; that one will be the circuit with the drain. Remember to hold in the button in the door jam for the interior lights.

Quijote Guest

Mmmm... Bernard, I used to see in REAL classics (french, american, swedish) the ol' reliable electric clock in the dash stealing incredible amounts of amperes, volts, watts and ohms wherever they tried to hide. Just an idea, my friend .

Bernard Guest

<sigh> . . . so I'm gonna have to rat-trace the circuits after all. . . . I was hoping someone would say, "Oh, yeah--on '49s, that's always the wire to the frammis shorting on the dooflatchie flange."

Heidi, thanks for the cut-and-paste. I hadn't thought of the obvious trick of bridging the battery and ground strap wtih a light . . . I may have to make a six-volt one, but it'll be worth it.

Quijote, thank you for your suggestion. I'll pull that fuse first.

Bernard Guest

Need the blush icon again. . .

Next time someone cries for help about a mysterious discharge of the battery on a 49 or older (and maybe newer), ask 'em if the radio's turned on with the volume all the way down.

****** draws 15 amps and bypasses the ignition switch . . .

Bernard Guest

"S-cker" is a censored word? What about the poor fish by that name?

ouchie. there's no way to put the radio on the ignition switch circuit? no extra slots in the fuse box?

and 15 amps idle current with no audio output, wow. that sucks. i suppose a 49 is using tubes or something?
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Bernard Guest

Bob, you've got to be wonderfully young . . . transisters didn't come along until the 50s some time . .. Yeah, power-gulping tubes. the radio is about the size of four shoe boxes bundled together. . . .

ummm, yeah, "wonderfully young" is 37. [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

as rusty as i am on my electronics history i knew they didn't have transistors in the 40s but i wasn't sure they were using tubes or if they had some sort of alternative.

i'd definitely be looking at getting that thing put on the switched power from the ignition, that kind of current draw is INSANE!
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)