-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: Building a 263

Building a 263

Folks, I have been here awhile. I have enjoyed interacting with ALL Buick folks, but most of all, the straight eight community. Just too little of that!

I am seriously considering building a 263 to install in my '50 Special. I rebuilt the original 248 that is in it. Only wish I had "warmed" it up a little. This build will not be a racing engine, as the guys from AZ. Nor a blown one as in Duttweiller fame. First off, those are 320's. Secondly, I have no desire to race. I do droole over their work.

Reason for this post is to ask for info. I do not want, nor do i have the time, to reinvent the wheel, so to speak. I would like to learn from ones that have done what I intend to do.

I am hoping for a strong runner.

So
    What is max safe bore?
    What is max shave on head?
    What are best pistons to use?
    How about cam?
    Any thing else you can think of.

I could probably come up with many more questions, but expect you see where I am going with this.

All info is appreciated. On the forum or in a message. Will be glad to share phone # in a message.

Thanks to all for reading.

Ben

just posting to get notifications......
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Building 263

Thanks, Long. Does not seem to be much interest.

Ben

I'm interested too.
    It's not what they call you ,it's what you answer to

I rebuilt my 263, I started driving it about 15 mos. ago. I did not try to hot rod it. I had been driving it for 28 years and it was running fine except for major blow by. Bored it only as much as necessary, turned the crank only what was necessary. Milled the head and block just enough to clean them up. Used the old cam, lifters and rocker arms and shaft. I spent a lot of money on the head with new valves, springs and guides. The man who did my head works on race engines, he 'cleaned' up the ports and got rid of some sharp corners, over all he thought the ports could not be improved very much. He figured he got me an extra 10 to 12 horse power (thats quite an improvement on a 120 horse power engine). I bought my parts from Egge Machine Company in California except bearings from Terrill Machine in Texas. Used the old oil pump and timing chain and gears. Gasket set from NAPA. I tried for .0015 oil clearance on the bearings. Plastigaged everything. I have about 50 pounds oil pressure when cold, 15 pounds at idle and 40 pounds off idle when warm. I had an engine noise that I could never identify, I have driven it about 1500 miles now and the noise is almost all gone, maybe by 3000 it will be gone. Anyway it does not use any oil, no blow by and I think it has a little more power. I am getting ready to take it to the drag strip and compare it to the old readings. I have had the car to 80mph on the flats and it was still pulling hard. My only problem is that I live in the mountains and on a hot day I have to slow down because my engine gets hot if I keep my foot into it going up steep grades. I have more horse power than cooling capacity! I used a modern type rear main seal rather than the rope seal and it does not leak but the rest of the engine leaks, even using all the new sealants. At least there is no rust and everything stays shinny. I did not use a manifold gasket. I used graphite and gear oil in a mixture thick enough that you could apply it to the head and it would stay in place to bolt the manifold to it. I was chasing exhaust leaks at the head using gaskets every 350 miles before I tried this. Now I have about 1500 miles now and no leaks yet. If you have questions let me know.
    Last edited by suntreemcanic; 09-02-2015 at 09:55 PM.

1st of 8 read the thread titled ANYTHING NEW FROM THE STRAIGHT 8 RODDERS. It is very long thread but full of info on the 263.

Quote Originally Posted by bruno View Post
    1st of 8 read the thread titled ANYTHING NEW FROM THE STRAIGHT 8 RODDERS. It is very long thread but full of info on the 263.
    Thank you, Bruno
    I have read that thread, and unless I missed something no one gives a play by play" this is what I did and these are the parts used.".
    I am certain, with all the info included I can do the job. Just be easier, I think, to follow in some one else's foot steps.

Ben

looked at Jyrki's site?
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Quote Originally Posted by LONG View Post
    looked at Jyrki's site?
    Yep, but I believe his is a 320.

Ben